Do they still have Unassigned Territory?

by journey-on 7 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

When I was a kid, going in "unassigned territory" was a big adventure. We packed picnic lunches, loaded up the cooler with water and drinks, and of course, a trunk load of extra literature. It was an all day affair and we really felt like we were doing something special for Jehovah....going where there was no kingdom hall nearby and putting the message out there!. Do they still do this? I guess I could just ask my sister, but I don't want her to think I'm the least bit interested in that org anymore.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes,they do,and also seldom worked territory. It is a bit more organized now.

But,it's a big to do at my congregation. It's like a congregation vacation. They go further away and work with a congregation to help them work their territory. They usually rent a cabin or even beach house,depending on where they are going.

My hall usually takes a long weekend to do this or even all week. I have never gone,because I can't bear to be stuck in a house with all those people no matter how nice,not even for a weekend. Plus,I don't even do field service in my own territory anymore.

And,of course,they still do the one day unassinged territory as you mentioned.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Thanks, EmptyInside. I was just wondering. There were so few fun adventures as a JW kid, the unassigned territory trip, and, of course, the big out-of-state conventions were what we looked forward to! At least my family always included some real vacation things when we went to an assembly. Those are good memories. The convention/assembly itself was usually hot, long, and borrrrrrrring.

• Decided
    Decided

When I was a teenager we had a county in Virginia as unassigned territory. It was in the mountains and there were many little roads that went to homes back in the woods.

I called on this house back in the woods and a lady was sweeping the yard and I talked for a little while and she said, "You shouldn't tarry long, my husband doesn't like me talking to strangers."

My brother was with another group and they went down this long dirt road and some men walked out of the woods with shot guns and asked what they were doing down there. They evidently were making whiskey and didn't want to be caught. My brothers car group turned around and went back out.

We had a lot of fun back in those days, especially when we ate out in the woods.

Ken P.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I am beginning to think i live in one!

oz

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do they still have Unassigned Territory?

Yes.

It is a place called heaven and is totally devoid of any Jehovah's Witnesses because they are all awaiting resurrection into

a pair-o-dice on earth.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Stephanie Powell Watts, a former JW who is now an English professor at Lehigh University, wrote a short story called "Unassigned Territory."

It's in the anthology NEW STORIES FROM THE SOUTH: THE YEAR'S BEST, 2007, edited by Edward P. Jones. Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/New-Stories-South-Years-Best/dp/1565125568/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304701238&sr=1-8

• Heaven
    Heaven

Has any JW scaled down this thing to bring their life saving message to anyone living down there?

Sink Hole

OR How about to this remote Amazon tribe?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit