Whose "mouthpiece" was Pastor Russell: Jehovah's or the Adventists??

by Terry 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quentin
    Quentin

How does "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose" compare with Proclaimers? I was 10-11 years old when I read the Divine Pupose, to me, at the time, it seemed to be upfront in its history. Whish I still had the older publications. Mom and Dad had books all the way back to the 1940s, with many bound volumes of the wt mags.

• Terry
    Terry

Proclaimers is a real piece of work!

More smarmy details are added. However, you'll marvel at how they've snipped around the embarassing events and placed them---no, scattered them--throughout the book OUT OF ORDER to mitigate the impact and the cogency.

It is mostly razzle dazzle and dancing around the issues.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I have the "Proclaimers" book..I read it , studied it and looked up many of the references and quotes. I found it amazing. Why? because of the history of the witnesses. It is a joke. And it is right under their noses..and yet they don't see it.

I too loved doing research on Russell/Rutherford and the history of the JW's..today knowing what I know, I would be embarrased to be a JW..really!
    And Blondie, when you find it let me know. It sounds really familiar.

Blondie wrote:

I'm trying to find the quote but Russell said that between the early Christian Church and his time, that God had put various churches in charge of one bible teaching each. It was his job to gather them altogether back in one place, the true church

Snoozy

• Terry
    Terry

The Watchtower conception of Church history is really a conspiracy theory.

There was a small, ragtag group of insurgent "true" anointed who carried forward the secret sayings of jesus in all eras of history

which, from time to time, would blossom into an actual religious movement (The Waldensians).

As usual, the scholarship falls way short of actuality.

Ancient origins asserted and disputed

Some groups of Mennonites, Baptists, Seventh-day Adventists, and other Protestants claim that the Waldenses' history extends back to the Apostles. [ 1 ] Some Waldenses claimed for their churches an Apostolic origin, but this was far from universal. [ 8 ] The supporters of the ancient origin claim the Waldenses' name did not in fact come from Peter Waldo [ 1 ] [ 5 ] but from the area in which they lived. [ 9 ] They claim Peter Waldo in fact got his name by association with the Waldenses. This thought was current in the early 19th century:

"Some Protestants, on this occasion, have fallen into the snare that was set for them...It is absolutely false, that these churches were ever found by Peter Waldo...it is a pure forgery." [ 10 ]
    "It is not true, that Waldo gave this name to the inhabitants of the valleys: they were called Waldenses, or Vaudes, before his time, from the valleys in which they dwelt." [ 10 ]
    "On the other hand, he "was called Valdus, or Waldo, because he received his religious notions from the inhabitants of the valleys." [ 11 ]

The claim of an ancient origin has been accepted as valid by some Protestant historians, but since the 19th century the claim has been rejected by mainstream scholars. [ 7 ]

Other claimed founders for an ancient origin included Claudius, Bishop of Turin (died 840) and Berengarius of Tours (died 1088). [ 7 ] Many Roman Catholics contest these claims, believing the Waldensians were followers of Peter Waldo. [ 7 ] Likewise, the modern Waldensian churches themselves claim they start with Peter Waldo. [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14 ] [ 15 ]

The AlexandrineLa Nòbla Leiçon written in Old Occitan ("The Noble Lesson"), has traditionally been thought to have been composed in 1100, but scholars now date it to between 1190 and 1240. [ 16 ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit