Who is your boss?

by anewme 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• anewme
    anewme

Have you ever been the boss, owner, or manager of a company? Have you ever tried to accomplish a goal using lots of other people?

What problems arose? Did you appreciate it when the people you were using got your instructions wrong or simply did their own thing and made different decisions on their own than what you told them to do?

I have now experienced being a boss of many people. No matter who it is you are dealing with, educated or non educated individuals. Professionals or non professionals, some people just dont like to follow orders. Sometimes the consequences are insignificant. Sometimes they are very significant. The people you appreciate the most are those who simply follow your orders and are cooperative and cheerful in the workplace. The others you seek to fire. Simple.

I have been thinking about our earth and its many problems of late.

What is going to happen to life on earth?

In such a short time the entire planet is in grave danger. All around are signs of significant damage.

It seems to me, religion aside, that obedience and cooperation is called for from the human population. But who do we obey? Who is our leader? Do we need a boss?

Who is earth's leader?

Anewme,

deep in thought today

• anewme
    anewme

Maybe it all comes down to a very simple truth.....you have a lovely earth in a delicate balance and billions of people on it who either must work together successfully or ruin the earth and kill each other in a struggle for survival.

• anewme
  • anewme
    anewme

Gee I am enjoying my own thread.

Ok, I will continue my thoughts.......

In the last two years in this bad economy we have had many people sort of wig out at my work. First they sought employment because they needed a job. They seemed greatful and got comfortable with the work. They showed their talents and we all became friendly workmates.

Then so many of them became disgruntled about this or about that. They began to rebel in different ways to show us all how unhappy they were I guess.

They were all very talented people. Very smart. Very funny. But they grew tired of the work they were assigned to do...and in such a short time. They understood there was this work to do and they accepted it. What changed? Not the work for sure. What changed?

Many got fired and their royal behinds got kicked out. What happened? What changed?

You know the people who have stayed are the steady eddie types, the obedient ones who are greatful for the work and for their jobs and who are nice people and people who want to keep their jobs and who want a steady income for their families.

No one is beating the employees. No one is made to shovel sh**. So what is the problem? Why do attitudes and appreciation change so fast? Why do individuals feel they are higher and above the need to cooperate and work together and do their share to accomplish a goal?

I was an interim boss for seven months. I saw and experienced first hand the mischief caused by the complainers and rebels at work.

Now we have a new boss. He has cracked down hard on all of us. We cannot do a thing but what he tells us to do. If we have to go to the bathroom we have to clear it with him first. People are dropping like flies under this kind of control. They just cant be obedient.

It is rather fascinating to watch some humans crumble under the slightest orders to obey anything.

• anewme
    anewme

I think I put this thread in the wrong category.

My apologies.

Actually I have enjoyed my discussion here, alone and without criticism.

But now I will get on with my day.

Peace to all,

Anewme

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Being a boss is different than being a manager. Being a boss, to me, is 'This is how I do things so this is how you do things.' The employee has to bend no matter how ridiculous the expectation or demand. Being a manager, to me, is 'This is the goal we have to meet. How do I manage each individual person to best achieve that goal?' It is the 'boss' bending to bring out the best of each employee.

Some employees thrive under constant direction. They need to know what every expectation of them is and they achieve each goal in the way and order they are asked to do it. Some employees work better under their own steam and crumble if you micro-manage them. It is better to let those employees know what your end-goal expectation is of them and leave them free to find the best way they can do it. Often with these types of employees they will even come up with better means of getting there than you would have mapped out for them.

Some employees are not going to work unless there are consequences attached to failure to work, they are motivated through disciplinary action. Other employees are motivated by appreciation and accolades for their achievements.

I believe the best managers bend their management style to suit each individual employee and get the best out of them.

I try to be a good manager. Some days I succeed. Some days I am just a boss. And in any field there are going to be some things you just have to be a boss about. I find that in an overly regulated field such as mine is this happens more often making it quite difficult to achieve my goal of being a good manager sometimes. But, alas, these are my own issues and this topic is in general not specific.

I will say that some employees have a sense of entitlement that simply amazes me and I find those employees the most difficult to put my 'good manager' hat on with. I disagree with this part of what you said:

"The people you appreciate the most are those who simply follow your orders"

If I am wrong or if there is a better way to accomplish a goal I appreciate much more those members of my staff who will point that out to me. I find an open exchange of ideas is much more conducive to reaching our goals. Certainly I expect it to be a respectful discussion, but I think being open to the thoughts and ideas of your employees is important to good management. My best employees know they can come to me with their ideas if they think we are doing something wrong or if they think there is a better way to do something. They understand that I won't always agree with their ideas and that sometimes I will agree and simply won't be able to implement it due to budget constraints or whatnot... but I would not want to stifle the creative process, I would not want to miss a good opportunity to make all of us successful because I was too bullheaded to think anyone could have a good idea but me.

Anywho, that was a great deal of rambling from me after a night of very little sleep and being at work at 5 am so I hope my thoughts were coherrent, relevant to the topic, and made some semlance of sense. ;)

Jackie

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve usually always been in Charge..It`s better to be a Leader than a Boss..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Leader is probably better than my usage of the word manager, Outlaw, and better conveys what I was trying to say. I agree. It's what I aspire to. Some days I am very good at it, other days not so much. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit