First time ever - I attended my first Catholic Mass tonight...

by ziddina 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, and...

How could I forget?

The one and only MOUTHY!!!

Hi, Lady!!

You said:

Why not go into your room shut the door & ask the one who paid for all our sins
    to come into your heart...Instead of all seeking for the right church.
    If your a Christian ( a follower of Christ) you are one of the stones that makes up
    the CHURCH!!!!So GOD is IN you! in the form of the HOLY SPIRIT!!!!
    Please refrain from tossing your rocks at me!!!!

Okay, first of all... Who said I'd throw rocks at you???

'Cause I like you, and I like my rocks, and if I throw them at you, they won't be MY rocks anymore!!!

But that aside...

I'm really not looking for a church; I'm investigating the various churches to see how they compare - in a HUMANIST way - to the Jehovah's Witnesses...

(Psssssst!! I'm an "atheist with Neo-PolyTheist leanings", remember??? So I'm not exactly a "Christian" - had that knocked out of me a LOOOOONG time ago... - by a Middle Eastern volcano, yet!! )

But thanks for your suggestions!!

Zid

And like WasBlind said, hugs and for you, not rocks... Mind you, I wouldn't mind it if people threw a few diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, amethysts, opals, and so on at me...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Snoozy!!!

My opinion is that no church has all the answers and none are 100% right. I think what people look for is friendship and a feeling of being closer to god. The witnesses act like they have all the answers and we found out they are wrong..other religions don't act like they have all the answers and are more like a religion should be..there for encouragement and spiritual guidance. Not to judge and berate you for every little thing they think is wrong..

Oh, yes... I totally agree...

Cagefighter said something about the church - churches - acting as a latticework that allows a vine to grow upwards towards the light. I liked that illustration - goes along with what you said about religion acting as encouragement and spiritual guidance, not as judges involved in intense legalism, there to berate and condemn church members for every little thing that people might not be "perfect" in...

I need to go back and look at your second comment...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, yeah...

About the altar boys - er, kids - and priests...

Yes, I wondered about that too, but I keep in mind that pedophiles will tend towards careers that will provide them with a ready supply of victims - hence the problems that organizations like the "Boy Scouts of America" have also had, with pedophiles infiltrating their ranks...

The best thing that an organization can do, is be vigilant against such threats, with an open investigative policy that incorporates an immediate involvement of law enforcement the MINUTE - nay, the SECOND - that such crimes are discovered. Errr, SUSPECTED...!

Otherwise, one ends up with the enabling climate that has existed both within the Catholic Church AND the Watchtower Society - which allows pedophiles to continue seeking victims with little fear of prosecution for their crimes...

I must say, it appears that the Catholic Church has handled its scandal far better than the Watchtower Society, in that the Catholic Church appears to be taking positive steps to prevent such abuses in the future.

As to whether the Watchtower Society is actually turning over a new leaf in that aspect, or merely making noises only to revert to its original secrecy-shrouded pattern of behavior - well, only time will tell...

But if I had a kid, I'd trust them within the current climate of the Catholic Church before I'd trust them within a Kingdom Hall... Witnesses tend to live in an iron-clad state of denial...

Zid

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

My husband was raised Catholic. After his mother died 16 months ago, we did start attending the Catholic church he grew up in for a while. It really was a "worship" service and I really enjoyed it for a while. When the congregants take communion, if you are not Catholic you can still go up with your hands crossed over your chest and receive a blessing. I enjoyed the feeling that gave me. But after a while, it just became a chore to have to go every Sunday morning. The newness had worn off and I guess I was bored with it. I really don't want to tie myself down to any church and it will be a long time, if ever, that I attend church services again anywhere.

• dgp
    dgp

As to the Opus Dei:

http://freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/o/opus/

http://www.mond.priv.at/opus.dei/

People who leave the Opus Dei complain in pretty much the same terms you Jehovah's witnesses complain about the Watchtower.

in Catholic churches where they don't have those lovely and convenient 'kneeling' pads attached to the pews, can one bring their own kneeling pad???

In my experience, yes, you can. I don't think there is a policy on that.

As to "poor churches" I think churches in the United States are not what I have in mind. Think what churches could be like in Africa. Sometimes Kingdom Halls are pretty in comparison, particularly because they are clean.

I must say, it appears that the Catholic Church has handled its scandal far better than the Watchtower Society, in that the Catholic Church appears to be taking positive steps to prevent such abuses in the future.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I was never abused by any of the many priests I met. I did hear that some of my friends said one priest "used to touch" them, meaning he used to manipulate children's penises. What the church did with Marcial Maciel and the Legion of Christ was awful (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Marcial_Maciel).

On the other hand, there are also priests who won't tolerate this and won't do it. One of my fond memories of my childhood was the Italian father that came to our parish. He was fond of me and wanted to teach me Italian, an offer I should have taken. This priest was a very handsome man, tall and very strong, and with deep blue eyes. I know my mother fancied him . In what became one of the juiciest pieces of gossip of the time, one of the women in the parish came to his office, took her clothes off, and then asked to be "made his woman". The father removed his belt, yes, but it was to beat her with it and pushed her out of the office. Then he threw his clothes to her. The parish lost one of the faithful workers, indeed. After that, the man won everyone's respect, however.

I must say that same parish saw many priests "step out" with women. Most priests married the women. In one case, the woman didn't want to marry him.

Years later, I saw him again. He was a missionary abroad. He was very much tanned, he looked a lot weaker, and much older. His beard was now white, but he was still the same religious man.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow, DGP...

I've often thought that the vows of celibacy would be quite difficult to fulfill for most men... I do admire people who can fulfill their vows, and it's always sad to hear about those who fail or practice hypocrisy behind the facade of the church...

Thanks for the links!! I've got some reading ahead!!

Zid

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Zid, see your PM.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, do I hafta???

Checking my PM's right now...

• dgp
    dgp

Some priests were able to maintain celibacy. Some others don't, and didn't. Not everything is great in the Catholic Church, but not everything is the way Jehovah's witness are told it is.

• Watchful-Prayer-Matthew26-41
    Watchful-Prayer-Matthew26-41

I'm trying to figure out the mysterious Catholic Mass better... I recently read The Lamb's Supper: the Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28883.The_Lamb_s_Supper) ... I'm not on GoodReads anymore so I figure i'll post my thoughts here if you don't mind? :) One of the main themes of this book is the focus on the book of Revelations at the end of the Holy Bible... the premise being that Revelations reveals the perpetual Love of God through Holy Communion with believers in the Lamb of God. If anyone else reads it too, I'd be interested in discussing the book with them. Different opinions, thoughts, questions welcome. I'm still learning more myself. I'm sure Jesus didn't suffer in vain, that we don't suffer in vain, but that united to Jesus on the Cross, we commit our spirits to Our Father, glorifying His Name, His Will, His Kingdom. Please write back, let's understand this mystery better together! :)

God bless you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit