First time ever - I attended my first Catholic Mass tonight...

by ziddina 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My opinion is that no church has all the answers and none are 100% right. I think what people look for is friendship and a feeling of being closer to god. The witnesses act like they have all the answers and we found out they are wrong..other religions don't act like they have all the answers and are more like a religion should be..there for encouragement and spiritual guidance. Not to judge and berate you for every little thing they think is wrong..

I too went to a Catholic church with my daughter and her in laws family. I had been baptised a Catholic as a baby but never raised that way. I knew they did a lot of thiings that weren't bible based but the spiritual was there..people had come together to feel closer to god. You could tell. I enjoyed it. I also found myself wondering about the priests and the alter boys in a moment flashback to being a witness, but I quicky brushed that evil thought out of my mind. The witnesses had planted that poison in my mind. They don't all do that kind of thing..

I would not have a problem going to any church..as long as it isn't a holy roller..they freak me out .

Snoozy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My therapist for the past three years is a very hip, forward thinking Dominican Catholic Nun. You'd never know she was a nun. She was an engineer, then went back to school to get her doctorate in psychology. She's amazing. Not all Catholics are by the book Catholics.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

FHN, after visiting the Catholic Church I wonder if any of them are by the book anymore..

Snoozy

• Scott77
    Scott77

After exiting the kingdumb hall in 2007, I returned back to my catholic root mainly for socialization, new friendship, a feeling of belongness and spending quality time with a large group of socially minded people once a week. This has helped me alot to overcome loneness. You know, many of us after breaking off with the WTS, must start a new with new friendships. For many, its a hard time. We cut off many of our longtime JW friends as we grew up being indoctrinated to avoid socialization with 'worldly' people. Todate, I have found many new friends and its a blessing for me to feel great this way even though I do not agree with many of the church's teaching. The social benefits are enriching.

Scott77

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, some of them are by the book Catholics. They try very hard to live to the letter of the law of the Vatican. They call Catholics who don't do this
    Cafeteria Catholics. I'd say that at least in the USA, there are more Cafeteria Catholics than By The Book ones.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Ah, that is very interesting... By following this "three-year cycle for Sunday readings", is the entire bible eventually read to the church members?

The coverage is extensive, but you'd have to go every day, and even then there just aren't enough days to cover every single verse using the one-topic-per-reading format. There is an OT reading, Psalms are sung, and a Gospel reading every day, and another NT reading (usually from the epistles) on Sundays and Holy Days.

I suspect the extensive schedule of readings carries over from times before printing presses and and education of the lower classes. For most of the church's history the only way most in the congregation could learn the Bible stories was by hearing them read.

(added)

@FHN: we also have what are called Catholic "CEOs": Christmas and Easter Only!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is the closing hymn and recessional for an Episcopal Cathedral during Easter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaIl5tUeaGA&feature=related

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Similar feelings I had when I went to the Orthodox Church. Although Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church are the 2 basic Christian religions and have only 2 issues that separates them, Filioque and the possition of Pope at the Church.

Technically speaking the Apostolic Orthodox Church set the Biblical Canon with the 76 Books. So if you feel to look at the origins of Christianity then look for Orthodox or Roman Catholic Church.

Specially the Orthodox Temple gives you the feel that indeed you are entering in place of worship. The way the Icons are on the surrounding walls, the candles, the scents, the Eclesiastical music, all they indicate that you are in place of worship and prayer.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Organized religion should be a structure for you to grow, like a vine grows up lattuce work towards the light. The church is not the light but helps you get closer to the light.

Everyone is at a different place. Some folks don't need or aren't ready for any organized religion. Heck, the Kingdom Hall is a big step towards the light for some (let's be honest). The problem is some people take a step closer and turn their brains off and we all know those types in and out of every religion.

-Cage

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wowwiee!!

Many more responses!!

Flying High Now, thanks for posting that video!! That is impressive...

I'll have to find such a service in my area. Just one question - do people show up in "street" clothes for such a service, or do they wear their "Suday" best?? (Just so I won't look too out-of-place, since I'll be showing up by myself...)

Looking at the crowd - I can't tell - looks like some people are well-dressed and others in regular around-the-house clothes...

Thanks!! Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit