May 2011 Awake quotes a moron! Not that it surprises...

by Pika_Chu 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

YOUR AMAZING BRAIN

How does your brain feel, hear, see, and
    smell? Scientists are baffled. “There is no
    hint in your brain as to how you see the
    words you are now reading,” said scientist
    Gerald L. Schroeder.
    He also wrote: “Revelation of the previously
    unimagined intricate workings of the
    brain has challenged the simplistic theory
    of life’s random evolution.” He continued:
    “Had Darwin known of the wisdom hidden
    within life, I have confidence that he would
    have proposed a very different theory.”

Quoting creationists? Young-Earthers at that? Sure...real convincing, guys...Where do I begin with this? Okay, the brain is not a complete freaking mystery. Yeah, we don't know everything about it, but we know a little something about how it works. If we didn't, the WT wouldn't be able to comment on now "Wonderfully designed" it was. Besides, science is no fun without qusestions. And no, I don't think Darwin would have proposed a different theory. And it wouldn't matter anyway. The validity of evolutionary theory doesn't rest on the authority of Darwin. Someone would have come up with the idea sooner or later. They just can't leave Darwin alone, can they? Look at the dirt I got on Schroeder from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Schroeder.

Look at the "Religious Views" section:

His works frequently cite Talmudic, Midrashic and medieval commentaries on Biblical creation accounts, such as commentaries written by the Jewish philosopher Nachmanides. Among other things, Schroeder attempts to reconcile a young Earth creationist Biblical view with the scientific model of a world that is billions of years old using the idea that the perceived flow of time for a given event in an expanding universe varies with the observer’s perspective of that event. He attempts to reconcile the two perspectives numerically, calculating the effect of the stretching of space-time, based on Einstein's theory of general relativity. [ 7 ]

Antony Flew, an academic philosopher who promoted atheism for most of his adult life indicated that the fine-tuned universe arguments of Gerald Schroeder convinced him to become a deist. [ 8 ] [ 9 ]

Did you read that right? Not only is this guy a nut (and Jewish; ironic, that the WT doesn't consult him on matters related to blood!), but he influenced Antony Flew, that guy who was an atheist, from the November Watchtower, then he was turned into a believer buy...um, did they say he was converted by a Witness? Or was it Davies? Or some unnamed guy who was an atheist? At any rate, I don't remember, but I think it's more than coincidence that they mention Flew just months before they mentioned this dude. Do you think the research department gets their info from Wikipedia? (Using worldy knowledge? Tsk, Tsk, Watcthtower!) I think it's interesting I find this info here. What do you guys think?

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

The cognative dissonance must be strong in this one.

At least they he really is a scientist. Seems like such a waste.

• JamesS
    JamesS

Ian StewartIan Stewart > quotes

See if your friends have read any of Ian Stewart's books. Sign up »

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numerals, and those who don't."
    Ian Stewart (Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities) 8 people liked it like
    "Religion hinges upon faith, politics hinges upon who can tell the most convincing lies or maybe just shout the loudest, but science hinges upon whether its conclusions resembe what actually happens."
    Ian Stewart 5 people liked it like
    "If our brains were simple enough for us to understand them, we'd be so simple that we couldn't."
    Ian Stewart (The Collapse of Chaos: Discovering Simplicity in a Complex World)
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Calling spmebody a "moron" is hardly objective or in this case accurate...

"Dr. Gerald Schroeder earned his BSc, MSc and double-Ph.D. in Nuclear Physics and Earth and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he taught physics for seven years. While a consultant at the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission he participated in the formulation of nuclear non-proliferation treaties with the former Soviet Union and witnessed the testing of six atomic bombs. He has served as a consultant to various governments worldwide and has been published in Time, Newsweek and Scientific American"

It seems however that he writes things to which Pika Chu disagrees, and that to some people is enough to call him such a name.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

God is able to feel, hear, see, and smell without a brain. He supposedly has total knowledge and wisdom without any material elements as a mental network. And God came about completely by chance, a sort of self-evolutio-creation out of a total vacuum. Gerald Schroeder is the type to convince me to become an atheist.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    Okay, the brain is not a complete freaking mystery. Yeah, we don't know everything about it, but we know a little something about how it works. If we didn't, the WT wouldn't be able to comment on now "Wonderfully designed" it was.

The wonderfully designed brain will always be a mystery to those who are not permitted to use it. Ever notice how those who believe the brain was designed (by God) use theirs far less than those who believe in evolution?

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@maninthemiddle: do you mean I'm eperiencing cognitive dissonance or Schroder? I'm confused.

@BluesBrother: I'm sorry, but anyone who tries to reconcile 6 literal creation days using special relativity is not very smart. But that's just my opinion. It matters not that he has a degree and people consult him. Lots of nuts and Young-Earthers do.

• sir82
    sir82
    Awake quotes a moron
    !

Given that morons often quote Awake, it seems only fitting.

Everyone, all together now...

"The circle....of life..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit