Spiritual vs religous

by darth frosty 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I write this in light of brodans post about evolution and his religous fervor.

I classify myself as a spiritual atheist. I do not believe in the big 3 mainstream gods presented by religions today. When it comes to how we got here...I really do not care. I do not believe in the creation account and I will not pretend that I know all about evolution (tho I have been able to resolve some of its concepts with-in myself.)

I write this just to show that there is a difference between being a spiritual person and a religious one. Even tho I do not believe in god, I recognize mans need to look to a higher authority. Its like a left over genetic imprint that causes us to be succeptible to religious manipulations. Charasmatic preachers use the bible (or whatever spiritual book) to guide peoples spiritual gene in various ways.

I feel spirituality is a personal matter and one that should be defined once a person has experienced life, learning and come to a point where he/she can resolve with-in themselves their spiritual nature.

Religion does not allow one to define his own spirituality. It is a list of rules presented as gods path for you take it or leave it. I love it when one can transcend religion and define his own spiritualty and path in life. I think of posters on here like aguest, snowbird, tec and psacremento who have risen above religion to define their own spirituality outside of it.

You would think that most of us, having been ex JW's, would have come to understand the perils of forcing our beliefs on others. I think that is where the line of spirituality and religion is crossed. A good example of this is the contrast of Jesus words and paul.

Jesus preached forgiveness and love he had a message that calmed the INDIVIDUAL heart and spirit. His...rules (for lack of a better term) were easy to follow and beneficial for pagan and xtian alike (think good samaritan parable.)

When paul comes on the scene he took a simple message and added to it, also opening the way for future followers and preachers to add to it. Paul took it upon himself to define aspects of christianity that should have been left to the individual. Sure he tried to cage his words with such expressions like 'not as the christ says but I tho I believe I have the christ spirit.'

Religious leaders since than have been adding on their own interpretations and beliefs. Now today we have this huge chasm between simple spirituality and religions. For too long people have let religions define their spirituality, instead of them finding it with-in themselves.

I believe that all should be allowed to freely explore their spiritual path, if they so wish, and once they find it enjoy it. I do not believe they should push their spirituality onto others. Whats good for you and your spiritual journey, may not be the path that me and my experiences need.

How say you fellow JWN'rs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Have you dabbled in Buddhism, df? I'm not advocating it - I barely understand it myself - but from what I know it is not inconsistent with what you so eloquently expressed above.

I don't see a parallel perspective with the four individuals you mention, beyond that they eschew organised religion. They're all still Christians and worshippers of the Creator of the universe, after all. Perhaps the appropriate term is esoteric Christians, although I suspect neither would wholeheartedly agree. However, where they differ from the 101%-certain-there-is-a-God crowd is they will listen, consider and offer counter arguments with poise and intelligence, even if they will not in the end concede the main point on the basis of faith.

It sounds like you're in a good place.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This is exactly how I feel - I consider myself a spiritual person, but not religious.

I hope you don't mind, I'm stealing this and sharing it with my kids.

Palm

• tec
    tec

Oh, very well written!

Religion, with its rules and behavioral codes and doctrines and creeds, hinders spirituality. Captives still, so to speak. Which is not to say that all church goers are unspiritual. Not at all. But those who let an organization of any kind tell them what creeds and doctrines they will believe, and then let that define their faith, are they really open to a personal/spiritual relationship with their Lord? Or just their lord as defined by someone else?

Beautiful thoughts, Darth Frosty. Thank you!

Tammy

• superpunk
    superpunk

What is "spirituality"?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I like this definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
    Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2] Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life; such practices often lead to an experience of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm.[3] Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life.[4] It can encompass belief in immaterial realities or experiences of the immanent or transcendent nature of the world.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm in your religion too, darth. Ooops, i mean that i am also cognizant of the spiritual , but don't believe in a bible type of god;)

S

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

Good post Darth!

IMHO

Religion is Spirituality's bastard brain damaged child!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Darth, I shared some of these thoughts with my son today and we had a really great conversation.

Thank you!

Palm

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Have you dabbled in Buddhism, df?

I do like the concepts of zen but haven't really delved into the whole buddhist thing. I would say I'm a split between zen like philosyphies and Sith meditations.

Lately I have been reading the essential marcus aurelious, which has been very eye opening for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit