Life Cycle of a JW

by Wren 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wren
    Wren

Hello! This is an introduction. My JW life, I admit now, is typical. In ways it’s typical for: JW demographics, life passages, time in a high control group. I’m not much of a writer but here goes…

My first memory was at a large stadium, summer assembly, in 1961, in California. I was five. My family associated with JW’s consisted of one unbaptized parent that attends here and there and a baptized crazy aunt. I started studying regularly with a pioneer couple. Within months, at age 10, regular attendance at meetings & field service, followed. This continued where ever we moved (I’ve lived from one end of the west coast to the other). My family life was not especially stable. I lived with either parent or different relatives. Stability came from having “the truth”.

The apex was the approaching mid 70’s. In my late teens/early twenties I entered my idealistic stage. Baptism was at 16, then pioneering after completion of high school. I desperately needed all the answers in a neat package. My zeal was enhanced with the 1975 peak of fervor and “ingathering”. In the late seventies, foregoing an education, I married a JW and had several children in close succession. I continued to try to keep up with all the requirements. At this point it began to dawn on me that I might have dug myself a hole and I’d better start looking for a rope to either hang myself or pull myself out.

With my slow slide down the curve in the early eighties, I went through the initiation of seeing the underbelly of the organization, JW imperfections and pressure. The usual: Elders using power for monetary gain, self righteous judgmental types, immorality covered over based on congregational position, double lives, all while proclaiming “We are God’s chosen people”. I could never be a good enough Christian. You must do more! My extended family life was controlling and judgmental. I had married into a struggling family business.

By the mid 80’s I hit the wall. The business failed. I’d had enough of the religious pressure and manipulation. We had children to raise. I decided it was time to “get back to basics”. Take care of what is most important. My values basically were “the golden rule” (found in most religions and belief systems) and caring for my children. These core values have not changed to this day.

One more learning lesson for me: quit whining and pull yourself out of the hole! We both went back to school, at different times, and learned new skills that ensured a reliable decent income. We became mostly inactive as far as the JW’s, attending once in a while. I like a statistics quote for the 80’s: we were part of the ones that just tired out. JW family called me selfish & my husband worldly.

We attended sporadically through the ninety’s. I wish I had the knowledge in 85 that I have today, examining my religion. It would have saved us the embarrassment of being the Jehovah half-wits for fifteen years!!! You know the ones. The parents both work. The family attends sometimes. Field service is way optional. The kids have worldly friends, attend parties, run for school office, and go out for sports but no saluting the flag! “Worldly people” at work think you’re a little weird and the witnesses make fun of you!

We did study through a book or two with the children, during this time, but had an unspoken pact not to encourage baptism while they were teenagers. If they decided to have a different religion, so be it. We had seen so many lives deeply affected as teenagers “sow their wild oats” then are punished and ostracized.

Here’s the end of the cycle with no regeneration. I’m on the internet reading the news last August. JW molestations headlines. Nice lengthy article about Kentucky molestation lawsuit and other similar lawsuits. I ask what else is being covered over? Why can’t I examine my religion!? BTW I want to thank everyone for all the information on the websites. You do make a big difference.

Chronologically, I began with more on cover-ups. Then, of the GB attitude and handling of life and death matters of blood & neutrality. So many lives lost and ruined sincerely trying to serve God. The reality is a group of men/corporate publishing & real estate power have the audacity to proclaim themselves God’s mouthpiece that must not be questioned and demand high compliance. I then focused on the psychology of mind control and high control groups. This has become my filter of understanding my JW history. I continued to read everything I could on the internet. Then I purchased several books to finish reading what wasn’t posted. The doctrinal points were easily dismantled. The quotes only sites speak for themselves. To sum it all up: JW’s are just what is found in reference books, an odd offshoot of the SDA’s.

It seemed like it was only over a few days. I began to think with my own mind. After continued reading and reasoning my beliefs are now along the Atheist/Agnostic/Skeptic lines. I had salvation vs. punishment questions but that’s for another thread.

By this time, I’m astounded, exclaiming to myself “you idiot you were just selling books!” I remember so smugly saying “I would never end up a follower of Jim Jones drinking purple kool aid!” I lived in SF and passed by his temple regularly in 1971. I also lived in Oregon when the Rajneshees were big and proclaimed “Look at all those expensive cars! How could anyone be that stupid to blindly believe like that?” I am!!! and might have killed my children over the blood doctrine to prove it.

I talked to my children about the research. They were studying off and on. They now pursue other beliefs; the one baptized was regretting it and wants a normal life. Apologizing to them some how felt like a death row prisoner blubbering on about repentance. My present family situation is precarious due to the shunning doctrine.

This is lengthy. I’ll sign off now…

“When the long, long day is over, and the Big Boss gives me my pay,
    I hope that it won’t be hell-fire, as some of the parsons say.
    And I hope that it won’t be heaven, with some of the parsons I’ve met-
    All I want is just quiet, just to rest and forget.”

The Spell of the Yukon and other Verses by Robert W. Service

• AlanF
    AlanF

Interesting and not unusual story, Wren. Thanks for posting!

You were in Oregon when the Rajneeshees were there, huh? So was I. Email me if you like (my email is always open) and we can compare notes.

AlanF

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

Welcome to the forum Wren. You have an interesting story. I thing that many of us have lost a lot of years because we didn't had all the informations that we needed to really free our mind from the mind-control of the WatchTower. Personnally, I was an half-witness for five years until last summer. I thought that someday, I would comeback to the org but, when I began to read what was available on the net, I made my final decision.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

• Bang
    Bang

Wren,
    It always makes me happy to hear that someone else broke the bonds.

Though I suppose you know in your heart that you've done the right thing, I wanted to tell you that you have as well. It's always good to see the courage of letting your yes be yes and your no be no, as opposed to your no being yes by a proud daring.
    You have listened to God and may there be more "good on you"

Bang

• Bang
    Bang

Wren,
    It always makes me happy to hear that someone else broke the bonds.

Though I suppose you know in your heart that you've done the right thing, I wanted to tell you that you have as well. It's always good to see the courage of letting your yes be yes and your no be no, as opposed to your no being yes by a proud daring.
    You have listened to God and may there be more "good on you".

Bang

• castlelover
    castlelover

I read with interest your history and see myself in it a good bit. Heavy into it in the seventies, eighties still there, but in the nineties no way. After my husband died (not a witness) and the terrible talk given by an elder and that same elder promised by husband on his deathbed that he would take care of his family and then him not even stopping by to see how we were doing was the last straw. Thankfully my family were not JWs and I didn't have to put up with this aspect. Where is the love that they so preach. Not within their organization. I too am thankful that blood never came up with my children because if I had lost one and now how to deal with the stupidity of my decision it would be too much to bear.

I'm sorry that now there poison still can sometimes infect us with the programming that they instilled. For instance the first time I read this sight I felt guilty and felt like I sinned or something, when really all I am seeing is that others have broken away as well.

I am also thankful that God had a purpose for me and when I remarried by new husband was able to help me come away from this madness and find out that I can worship God without all the rules and regulations that they lay upon us.

My prayers are with you and thank you for sharing your story.

• Gandalf
    Gandalf

Yep, been there, done that. We all feel like fools for having taken so long to see the light. But we have to remember what a great acheivement it is for someone raised in that sort of religion to EVER escape. I once met the director of an academic institution for the study of new religions in London and she told me that for her, the big mystery was not why people joined a cult, but how anyone raised in one could escape! So let's not feel like fools but feel proud of a great acheivement.

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

Wren,

Thanks for sharing your story -- you are a talented writer and very easy to follow.

I left the WT cult in 1975 when I was 24. Being disfellowshipped was the best thing that ever happened to me, though at the time I fully intended to get reinstated. Fortunately, that never occurred -- every time I tried to attend a meeting, I got physically ill without knowing why, at least on a conscious level. I believe once you start living in the real world again, the natural result is to wake up from the nightmare, though it may be a gradual process that takes years. Sadly, some people on this board are having a hard time shaking the programming. My heart breaks for them because until they do they will live in limbo – and life is too short and precious for that.

Jehovah’s Witnesses were an unwanted presence in my life until about 1993, as I was forced to have a certain amount of contact with my ex-husband and his family when I saw my daughter. Her baptism put an end to that but also our relationship – it was “goodbye, mom” once she got dunked. You all know the drill. On the positive side, I did not have to call or talk to those people anymore – they had such a way of making me feel like a leper.

For the past 8 years, I tried to forget I ever was a JW – it seemed like it all happened to someone else. Then one day my mom, who left the borg before I did, confessed that she secretly worried that the witnesses might be right in their doctrinal teachings. It hurt me to see these issues still caused her pain. Later it occurred to me there might be some information about the WT on the internet. I found Randy’s freeminds site first and felt like I hit the motherlode. In my wildest dreams, I never thought the WT could be that evil! C of C , the mass exodus of Bethelites, the 1914 coverup, Silent Lambs—it was all there for the world to see. Amazing stuff!

I so wish I had had access to this information years ago. To all of you who have contributed to this board and spent hours researching and writing – THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. You are helping new people every day to understand that they are NOT crazy and they are NOT alone and that there is life outside the borg.

Faith

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit