I Know Christmas is Over this year BUT......

by Adonai438 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

There has been some discussion as to the supposed 'pagan' origin of Christmas and I just wanted to post this research article for discussion. Please let me know what you think! <><

Christmas
    By Lorri MacGregor
    Should it be a holiday for Christians to Celebrate? Some say NO!

THE ORIGIN OF DECEMBER 25th
    First off, we can all agree that we do not know the exact date of Christ’s birth. The Jehovah’s Witnesses and other legalistic groups attack the observance of Christmas, charging that it is pagan and not for Christians. No one can deny that this observance has been abused by those in the world, but should this stop Christians from observing it in a proper manner? Secondly, we can all agree that pagans celebrate on this date. We would be hard-pressed
    to find a day to celebrate that did not have pagan roots. Every day of our week, indeed our entire calendar is “pagan!”
    However, most would agree that these pagan roots have lost their significance. Christians do not refuse to honor Jesus just because of pagan roots, since these pagan roots have no
    significance to them. Why, then, choose December 25th to celebrate Christ’s birth? In the “Israel My Glory” magazine of December-January 1986-1987, there appeared an article called, “Why Do We Celebrate Christmas on December 25th?” Since Christianity has its
    roots in Judaism, and not in paganism, let’s look to the Jewish roots for the origin of our date, as did this article.
    A full explanation of the Jewish observance of Chanukkah (also called Hanukkah) is given,which is a major holiday for Jews to this day. Although it was not one of the seven biblical holidays, it nevertheless is of great significance. It is also called “The Festival of Dedication,” or sometimes “The Festival of Lights.”
    John 10:22,23 records that Jesus was walking on the porch of the temple during this observance. He had nothing to say against it, and judging by His location, may have been participating,
    even though it was not commanded in the Bible. On page 5, the article continues,
    “December 25th is almost certainly not the actual date for
    the incarnation. Shepherds in Israel would not have been out in the fields tending their flocks at night in December.” Therefore, why choose this date?
    First, it was on the 25th day of the Hebrew month Kislev (corresponding to our December)that Antiochus chose to desecrate the Temple and establish worship of his god because it was already an existing heathen holiday. Therefore, l and 2 Maccabees go out of their way to stress the fact that it was exactly three years later, to the day, that the Temple was cleansed and rededicated (the 25th of Kislev). Now when the Church, long after the actual date of the incarnation had been lost in antiquity, chose the date to commemorate the incomparable occasion when deity dwelt within a
    human body, what better association than the Temple, where deity had also dwelt, and the 25th of Kislev, which was an already established date commemorating the cleansing and rededication of the Temple as a dwelling place for God? The Church did not choose December 25th because it was an ancient heathen holiday, but
    because of the Jewish feast of Chanukkah that occurred on that date, and the added significance that Jesus gave to it. This date eloquently testified to the fact that at the birth of Jesus
    deity was dwelling in a human body (Temple) and shining out to give light in the midst of dark-ness. The great Hebrew-Christian scholar, Alfred Edersheim, whose writings on this period of time are still classic, shared this thought, “The date of the feast of Dedication (Chanukkah)—the 25th of Kislev—seems to have been adopted by the ancient church as that of the birth of our blessed Lord—Christmas—the dedication of the true temple which was the body of Jesus.”
    We would do well to look at the Jewish roots of our Christmas (which means “Christ is sent”)and act accordingly.

THE ORIGIN OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE
    Our custom of the lighted Christmas tree reportedly originated with Martin Luther, a great man of God. While walking in the moonlight and thanking God for sending his Son, he saw an evergreen tree covered in hoarfrost shining in the moonlight. He cut the tree down and brought
    it inside, and decorated its branches with lit candles to remind all that Christ is the light of the world, and the tree is symbolic not only of the tree Christ died on, but of the “Tree of Life” referred
    to in Revelation. The feeble attempt of some cults to link the Christmas tree with Jeremiah, chapter ten, is cleared up when we read it in context. Here a woodcutter takes a tree, carves it into an idol,
    and worships it. The Christmas tree has never been worshipped yet in a Christian home!

IS CHRIST’S BIRTH IMPORTANT?
    The cult groups like to minimize the importance of Christ’s birth, just as they have minimized Christ, making him less than Almighty God manifest in the flesh in their theology. Some groups
    teach that He is only “a god” or the Archangel Michael. Others deny the One God revealed in three Persons (the Trinity). It is common to find the observance of Christ’s birth or Christmas also minimized or prohibited by these same groups. The Christmas-haters also usually refuse to render to Jesus the worship He is due. Many
    refuse to follow the Bible example of prayer to Jesus as well. It is no surprise that they refuse to honor the observance of His birthday by believers. However, this same birthday was marked in the Bible prominently. The actual birthplace of Jesus was foretold in Micah 5:1, “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among
    the clans of Judah, out of you will come for Me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from days of eternity.”
    Besides foretelling the birth of Jesus, Micah also gives us valuable insight into the nature of Jesus Christ, showing that His origins are eternal, not created as some cult groups teach. The
    Hebrew word here for “eternity” is “olam.” “Olam” also is used of YHWH (Jehovah) in Psalms 90:2. Only God is eternal.
    The foretelling of Jesus’ birth was an exciting and much-anticipated Event: “...Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will
    call Him Emmanuel” (Isaiah 7:13,14).
    Matthew 1:23 points out that the meaning of Emmanuel is “God with us.” That is “Ho Theos”(“The God” in Greek) is with us! Let’s believe the inspired word and not attempt to downgrade
    Jesus to something less than Almighty God manifest in the flesh!
    Isaiah 9:6 presents this exciting view of Christ’s birth: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor,
    Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
    Since God saw fit to have the angels sing and rejoice at the birth of Christ (Luke 2:13,14), and we are commanded to “honor the Son even as we honor the Father” (John 5:23), we make no apology to the cults for celebrating the birth of our Savior, Christ the Lord, on a most appropriate day.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Just for the record, Hanukah is not a major holiday for the jews. Rosh Hassana is the major one.

I can't spell worth a dam.

Slipnslidemaster: "Just because I look sexy on the cover of Rolling Stone doesn't
    mean I'm naughty."
    - Britney Spears

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Adonai...that was excellent! That was the same information that our family went with in finally breaking the WT spell and celebrating Christmas for the first time this year. I had always missed it terribly from the time I became a JW at 19. I am the only one in my family who once celebrated. My hubby and children never did till this year. I wish all JWs knew this information. They don't know what they have missed out on. Yes I know they use the excuse that it's too commercialized and too much of a money making thing, but so is Disney World, but most JW's I know, go crazy to be there with Mickey Mouse. And for that matter what is the difference in taking your child to sit on Mickey's lap and sitting on Santa's lap? Mickey is "pagan" isn't he????

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey Slipperyslidin,

I liked Yom Kippur better! No cars on the street, really, really quiet everywhere. One could hear the birds and no foul deisel smell from the transit busses!

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

Deity dwelt in a human body....I don't think I want to follow a god that is that localized...

caveman

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Your presentation contradicts the Bible:

It said here:
    >>Matthew 1:23 points out that the meaning of Emmanuel is “God with us.” That is “Ho Theos”(“The God” in Greek) is with us! Let’s believe the inspired word and not attempt to downgrade
    Jesus to something less than Almighty God
    manifest in the flesh!<<

Your inspired word the Bible PLAINLY showed Jesus to be SOMETHING LESS than the ALMIGHTY GOD right here:

>>Isaiah 9:6 presents this exciting view of Christ’s birth: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor,
    Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”<<

Jesus (when in heaven) is called a MIGHTY GOD as clearly shown by Isaiah. If he were the ALMIGHTY GOD, then why did Isaiah just downgrade him to MIGHTY? The Hebrew is clear in this regard. Jesus was/is not Elohim. Alone, he is Eloh.

Christmas? Christmas is good.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Really, pomagranate?
    Have you ever read Isaiah 10:20-21?
    There Jehovah/Yahweh is very clearly called the same thing-
    "MIGHTY GOD" -- does that mean Jehovah- the Father is lesser than Almighty? no! Why would Isaiah 'downgrade' Jehovah to 'mighty' if he is the Almighty? Why? Because Almighty is Shaddai in hebrew and Mighty is Gibor in hebrew. The words have nothing to do with eachother- Shaddai is not a higher or greater form of the word Gibor in any way. In english the argument for Almighty verses Mighty seems logical but it does not match the Hebrew concepts. That is just our way of translating it into english and has no reference at all that the two aren't equal.
    Also, Jesus is called ALMIGHTY in numerous places for example in Revelations 1:8-- which I understand that current JWs now believe is 'Jehovah' but Charles Taze Russel in his Studies in the Scriptures teaches correctly and very clearly that Rev.1:8 is Jesus. (Incidentally, 'Jehovah' does not appear in the NT at all, the WT inserted it. If the WT was unilateral in how they inserted it -- Jesus and the Holy Spirit are called Jehovah numerous times. Jesus is also called 'THE GOD' which is a contradiction to the idea of 'a god' earlier in John. In the OT and NT all three of the trinity are called Jehovah/Yahweh. :))
    Just a little food for your thoughts:
    Read 1 Peter 2:4-8 with Isa.8:13-14 says in 1 Peter that JESUS is the stone but ISAIAH says it is Jehovah.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Caveman: If God was never "somewhere," how could we know that He is
    everywhere?

• anewperson
    anewperson

CHRISTMAS -- THE REAL TRUTH: More recent scholarly studies prove that Christmas Tree is from the Tree of Eternal Life (Ge 2:9, 3:22) depicted in church plays of the Middle Ages, not Luther or Druid tree-worshippers, although outdated articles for example in World Book Encyclopedia still repeat the legends and Luther may have originated the use of candles attached to Christmas trees. The giant cedars of Lebanon used to build the temple at Jerusalem themselves had bright green needles with tan-colored cones, and John 10:22-3 says Christ visited the successor temple during the Jewish "Festival of Dedication," namely Channukah, during winter. Also called the Festival of Lights, it had singing, the carrying of tree branches, homes filled with lights and joy. Celebrated 8 days each time, its date varies yearly but the first Channukah was December 25, making it an even more likely source for the December 25 celebration than Rome's Saturnalia which came later in the month. Some believe Christ was actually born about Oct 1, which would mean Mary conceived 9 months previously, that is about or on December 25. Indeed count 9 months backwards from October to see for yourself. As to Santa Claus, no, he did not come from a vaguely known Asian god who descended chimneys to bring gifts or Siberian wizards but instead the Christian Nicholaus a famous gift-giver in Turkey in the Middle Ages.

In fact Christ himself was wrongly attacked as a "glutton and drunkard" simply for believing in a good time (Mt 11:19). He once turned water to wine at a wedding party in Cana (Jn 2:1-11), told followers to invite needy persons to parties (Lu 14:13-14), and accepted gifts including expensive nard oil. Interestingly, Revelation 1:14 even describes the resurrected Christ's hair as like "white wool" or "snow," his cloak was scarlet-colored (red with a bluish tinge--Mt 27:28), and white symbolized purity. True, all that just coincidentally reminds one of Santa Claus, but do note that the earliest Christians enjoyed balanced merriment at "love feasts" (Jude 12), the angels celebrated Christ's birth (Lu 2), and Job's children had enjoyed birthdays (Job 1:3, 3:1, 3).

Most Christmas trees are topped by a star remindful of the Christ star. According to John Mosley's The Christmas Star (1985) from September 3 BC to June 2 BC Jupiter, known as "the royal planet" passed Regulus "the king star" in the constellation Leo, reversed then passed again, turned and passed a 3rd time. By June 17 Jupiter and Regulus were so close they seemed a single star when seen by the eye. This then is one intriguing possible source for the Christ star in the Bible.

Before Christ's birth unspecified men called "magi" in Biblical Greek came from the East first to Jerusalem (Mt 2:1-2) then went on to find the Christ child in Bethlehem. Some translations render the word magi as astrologers because its root like the word "magician" is linked to the idea of being a person of great might but although magi may refer to people who try to predict the future by observing the stars, using omens and consulting spirit beings as forbidden by God at Deuteronomy 18:10-12, it can also refer to people who worked to predict future weather patterns, good times to plant and harvest, buy and sell crops, etc via careful observation of the clouds, stars and other natural phenomena and with very little to absolutely no special focus on the occult at all. So for solid reasons some Bible translations continue to translate magi as simply "wise men" or "stargazers" and this is also supported by the Bible’s positively saying they brought gifts for Christ then also protected him by leaving without telling his location to King Herod who wickedly desired to slay him.

Those who kept their families from celebrating Christmas should not be condemned if they acted out of lack of accurate knowledge in the past but also no one should claim that those who do celebrate the birth of Christ are out of harmony with the Bible even as the preceding information proves. Please read and meditate on what Paul writes at Colossians 2:16. . . . . . . The writers are part of a nonprofit mostly house-and-computer-based fellowship of Christians called Jah Christians, part of the international Free Christians movement which emails the Free Christians Newsletter for free to interested persons in all belief systems. We are seen at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian, or contact jahchristian@yahoo for a free subscription today:

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

anew person-- thanks for the further elaboration--
    Just a note that I do not attempt to condemn those who don't celebrate Christmas- it's not required but to share information to clear up allegations that it is pagan when it is clearly not-- although society has commercialized it. Thanks again!<><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit