2011 Yearbook - "Tracing All Things with Accuracy"

by pirata 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The Writing Department follows the pattern of 'tracing all things with accuracy'.

That means you don't need to read any books other than ours. In fact, please don't read any books other than ours. You're likely to start having independent thoughts.

For example, Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, warns that some articles on its own site "contain significant misinformation, unencyclopedic content, or vandalism," adding that "users need to be aware of this."

Er, except when it comes to articles about Jehovah's Witnesses. You'll read far more accurate information at Wikipedia about the "Faithful and discreet slave", the Governing Body, the history of Jehovah's Witnesses, Ray Franz, that messy business when Rutherford sacked the majority of the Governing Body, the history of our doctrinal flip-flops and the things people most hate about us than we'll ever tell you!

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

This is ridiculous! I'm going to rant and I hope I don't regret the passionate tone later...

First, it was really nice of them pick instances of misquotes or potentially inaccurate information in an attempt to market some kind of "Writing Department Gold Standard" to JWs. A Newton story that hinted at a Designer, a Gandhi quote that almost no one would argue with whether it was true or not, and spider silk?! Seriously?! None of these things have any significant bearing on JW doctrine and are low risk admissions. How about discussing changes like 1914, organ donation/blood fractions, water canopy theory, etc? Of course they wouldn't, because they don't want to remind JWs of how drastic some of those changes were (if the avg JW even knew of the old interpretations in the first place!). By featuring "adjustments-lite" they made a low risk, cowardly, self serving move.

Second, this is damage control. Many JWs smell something fishy either in an odd remark in an assembly talk, a hardline statement in the WT, or in ever shifting "New Light." With the unlimited amount information at their fingertips via the internet, big questions can be answered in a few minutes. Claims can be verified in seconds. The Jehovah's Witness Wikipedia entry contains some scandalous accounts that most publishers don't know about. What if a publisher saw these claims and had doubts? Well, the yearbook says Wikipedia isn't trustworthy. For most dubs, that's all they need to go back blissfully to Imagination Land. Same with scientific claims. If a JW watched a nature show that presented compelling information for evolution and then had doubts about the JW version of Creation, the WT, through this yearbook entry will soothe their doubts with their "impressive" (please note sarcasm) library of thousands of books and their access to even larger libraries with all the perfect and accurate and well researched information that you will find in the unadulterated pages of the WT magazine (again, sarcasm).

I'm really upset about this because there are several people close to me who have noted the inaccuracies, inconsistencies, hyprocrasy, and flip-flops over the years. They have that little feeling that something isn't right in one way or another. But they're loyal and they want so badly for the WT to be right. So they'll read this mildly persuasive bit of swill in the yearbook and regress right back to robot mode. Well played, WT. Well played. You know how to control your adherents all too well.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The Jw's and accuracy !!!

ROTFLMAO !!!

And I thought they didn't have a sense of humour !

Is it just me or does the writing department writing about how awesome the writing department is, strike you as just a tad bias ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Self praise is no praise!

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Franklin Massey- yes, this is damage control. Why else would they feel the need to publish that in the YB? Of course they have to say you can't trust Wikipedia.

It is so clear to us what they are doing. Why can't the jws see it?

And yea- the writing dept praising itself! And since it is so accurate it deserves the praise!

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

They can't see it because they don't want to see it. The implications of being wrong are too painful for some. I think ehe WT knows this and they give people just enough self assurance to reason away lingering doubts. "You may have heard negative things about the WT on the internet. Well much of what is on the internet is false and we work hard to bring you truth so ignore the internet and listen to us." My question is, how long can they keep up that battle?

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

FM used the phrase "low risk admission." That's it, exactly. By admitting the "error" of a few silly things, they are hoping to innoculate readers against pursuing any deeper, more significant inconsistencies or inaccuracies. And it's working, to some extent. My mother, who'se aware of my problems with how the Society uses scientific quotes, pointed this Yearbook blurb out to me as proof that the Society is aware of the "problem" and is correcting it. See? Everything's good now, you only have to wait on Jehovah.

YEAH, BUT it makes the most recent shoddy work in the latest 2010 Creation brochure even more reprehensible, IMHO, considering that the two projects had to be in the works at around the same time. "Let's distract the readers with our goofy little example of spider silk and they won't notice the omission of gobs of relevant context in our 'discussion' of how life began!"

"Tracing all things with accuracy"--Yeesh!! And keep a straight face at the same time...

• blondie
    blondie

But the WTS does not give specific examples so the rank and file can update these publications, especially the current ones that are being studied by jws and "placed" with the public.

• dozy
    dozy

Many hours of research and meticulous calculations eventually confirmed the accuracy of this astounding piece of information.

Why do I have an image of a few high school drop-outs messing about with some crayons and a calculator with big buttons. Then someone has the bright idea to buy a remote control plane & flys it into David Splane's silk boxer shorts "borrowed" from the Bethel laundry. The plane hits David's knickers and stalls on impact , veering off sharply leaving skidmarks and crashing to the ground. (Not the first time there has been skids on David's underwear , as the laundry staff could confirm.) Research completed! So good that the worldwide work funds are being put to such productive use.

As Leolaia and others have said , if the WTBTS writers have such a lot of time on their hands to investigate such petty matters , why don't they spend a few days or weeks honestly going through the evidence for 607 BCE?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    why don't they spend a few days or weeks honestly going through the evidence for 607 BCE?

What's to investigate?

Jesus obviously returned invisibly in 1914.

1914 CE - 2520 = 607 BCE

607 BCE - 70 = 537 BCE

Babylon conquered in 539 BCE ... history verifies it and Watchtower agrees.

Watchtower says Jews returned from captivity in 537 BCE.

So what if historical records indicate Jerusalem fell in 587 BCE and the Jews returned in 538 BCE.

The dates the Watchtower uses fit, no need to examine any further.

To verify what is already established by the Faithful and Discreet Slave Class is to question God himself.

Case closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit