Any Marathon Runners here??

by confuzzled777 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

My hubby and I have registered for our FIRST 1/2 marathon. Now, I have NEVER been a runner, which is kind of scary. BUT I have been going to a personal trainer 3 days a week for the past 11 weeks, in addition to doing 60 min. of cardio on the elliptical the other 3 days of the week with taking Sunday's off. I have lost 20 lbs so far, with 10-15 to go before I reach MY goal. My trainer is confident that I can run the entire 13.1 miles, with the proper conditioning. I will be following a 12 week schedule that will put me right at the date of the run.

Just curious if anyone here is a runner and if you have run in a marathon, 1/2 or the whole thing..........

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

There are too many opportunities for bad association through running in marathons. Plus, shouldn't you be going in service or doing your personal study rather than running in a marathon?!?!?

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

ROFL......FIRST.....I am not allowed to go in service. SECOND......Personal study is over rated! LOL

I will take my chances with the association too.......

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I used to run often, but never did a real race. I regret not running in a race.

As I turned 40, I tuned down my running. Too many foot & knee problems. Do you research on shoes and on running surfaces. Have a great time, and just stay safe.

Skeeter

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I have run 2 half's in the last 3 months.

Pick a race with good participation and you will have plenty of company no matter your ability.

Also, the gym is great for weight loss and cross training but make sure you are putting miles in on the road.

Good luck!

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I ran my first 1/2 in Oct. I have two more runs scheduled this year. I never considered myself a runner before, and if I can do it anyone can. I find that runs with many "distractions" to be best for me (i.e. bands, downtown scenery, cheering people) as opposed to running in the woods (however some prefer this).

There are some great training programs online. I ran 3 miles a day for years and then decided to up the stakes and to the Half Marathon. It took about 3 months of intense training and it was the hardest physcial thing I have every done in my life (again, not a natural runner). And I applaud people that can run the full marathons - which is amazing to me.

I did not run to win, I ran to finish. Good Luck - sounds like you have a good program in place !

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I heard a GREAT quote that kept me smiling when I was running :

My sport is your sports punishment.

:)

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

Thanks for letting me know! I am even more excited reading your posts! Right now we have snow all over and it is a bit too cold to run outside. SO, I am stuck in the gym on the treadmill as there is no running track at the gym.

There is a 5k? (not sure if that is the right term) in March that my hubby and I were thinking about running to give us an idea of what we are up against.

The 1/2 marathon that we are running in has a HUGE participation....10,000. They had such a GREAT turnout last time at 8,000 they added 2,000 more! Sounds almost TOO big for my likings.....I am not a big crowd person.

• VIII
    VIII

You really should at least run a 5K so you understand race dynamics.

I run at least every other day and haven't yet gone the distance of a 1/2. I'm in the range of 6-7 miles. I see some really old gentlemen in my area (I'm talking in their late 70's) who run the local 5Ks and 1/2s here so I'm inspired to try for one of the local 1/2s this year. Heck, if someone that age can do it, I can at least try!

Seeing all the people and how a race works would really give you a sense of what it is like. It is great fun and you'll get an idea of what your pacing should be. It is hard not to charge out of the gate (so to speak) and try to win (so to speak).

I ran three 5Ks this past year and loved every one. I may not win, but I just loved the atmosphere.

Congrats on trying and good luck on your continued training!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

just got off my treadmill... 3 miles my goal is a 1/2 this year. My husband has done many whole marathons but has not in a few years so he is helping me and I'm getting him to run again. My goal is 20 miles a week then 6 months of training. adding a mile to my long run eery other week...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit