Losing Faith

by cappytan 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• southwest
    southwest

Really appreciate your post cappytan as I'm new here myself. I feel very similarly to yourself, especially RE: 607. To read that Ray Franz (who oversaw the writing of the societies position on 607) didn't think it was based on solid evidence has on it's own destroyed my belief that the organisation is carrying out God's will on earth. 

How I'm going to leave though, that is another question.

Anecdotally, word in the area of the UK I'm from is that several young ones have recently 'gone apostate'. I can only see the trend of such ones searching for the truth increasing.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The storyline of Christianity:

Mankind lost its way and strayed from God's righteous family, falling into sin, which brought death and misery; God made provisions to bring back faithful humans back to his family and ultimately either reward them with eternal life on earth or heaven [depending on your flavor]; for that purpose, his heavenly son became human, Jesus, miraculously being born of a faithful jew female; he became a role model of a pious life, taught mankind the way to live a godly life, and finally died a sacrificial death as ransom for our sins. God rose him from the dead, resurrecting him back into heavens, where he was crowned King of God's Kingdom, which will soon put an end to Satan's rule over mankind, and restoring mankind's perfect status for all eternity - amen!

------------------------

This is a wonderful storyline, one that's hard not to feel attracted to. We all yearn to see the end of injustices, we all ask where evil comes from and why does it exists, we all want to see better days, and who doesn't want to live forever young? Christianity provides an answer to those questions, or at least that's what we all used to think at some point.

The very sad reality is - it's just a really compelling story, but it doesn't adhere to reality. The historical Jesus, that man who walked the earth, that Jewish Rabbi whose interpretation of the law departed from that of the Pharisees and Saducees and attracted a devout following - his message was NOT what later generations of Christians made up about him. If the strain of followers [led by James, the Just] that adhered to his teachings more closely had won the theological war, Christianity would have never existed, and Jesus would have been yet another celebrated Rabbi of Judaism, and life would carry on undisturbed. Christianity, as we know it today, is based on an elaborate invention by the apostle Paul and his disciples, who took the original accounts about Jesus and shaped them into something that the Greek-Roman world could accept. (**)

The historical Jesus was never born to a virgin, never had a pre-human existence, was never the Son of God [unless in an adptionist kind of way, at best], his death never acquitted our sins, and he was never resurrected; quite possibly, like most male jews of his day and age, he was married; he never meant to form a new religion or break away from the Torah; his prophecies about a kingdom of God, to be established in Israel within the generation of his disciples, never materialized, thus making him a failed prophet. 

THAT, my friend, is the truth about Christianity and Jesus and the Bible. A collection of man-made, highly adulterated and re-shaped, re-written, edited scriptures. I no longer subscribe that an all-powerful God would communicate with mankind through such a crooked book. I still want to believe that there is some kind of creative intelligence that drove the early stages of life, due to some evidence of design in certain features of life, but I find it hard to ever think again about God as a personal entity akin to a father who cares for us, his would-be children. Still, I don't find evidence that convinces me that God - if indeed exists - demands our worship or cares for our well-being.

Question is: Do you still want to remain a Christian in spite of Jesus' historical truths? That's your option. I see value in Christian ethics, but I'm at a loss as to why should I belong to any organized Christian religion (or any other, for that matter) because faith in Jesus dictates my salvation. I can never go back to that way of thinking. I've lost my faith. But I haven't lost my hope.

(**) On this subject, I strongly recommend that you read James Tabor's book Paul and Jesus - How the Apostle Transformed Christianity.

Eden

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome Cappytan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I couldn't live the lie to keep all my loved ones. I lost a great deal. If I could do it all again I would do it differently.

If you do more research and finish Crisis of Conscience, and check out sites like jwsurvey.org and jwfacts.com you may feel you wish to leave WT. If you do I strongly recommend you build up a circle of friends outside WT before you make your exit.

Trusted work mates, or even start a new hobby. Something to replace what you will lose if you leave. Talk to your wife as well, Combating cult Mind control, by Steve Hassan, is a good book to help you reach your wife. She may be very strongly entrenched in her beliefs. This book will help you understand ways to communicate that will be the least stressful for her. After all if you leave you want to try and take your wife with you.

Take care Cappytan

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome Southwest

Kate xx

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Welcome

I believe that faith has nothing to do with adherence to a holy book, be it the Greek scriptures the Talmud the Koran etc.

We have free choice (as the WT always says) to pick and choose what we like and believe.

If we have faith in nothing we cease to exist. 

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Welcome Cappytan , Southwest  and all new Posters here !

Good advice above ! I echo what has been said about taking your time, there is no hurry at all.

Make sure you ask us all that you want to, and eventually make up your mind as to your course of action, which for a long time may in fact be inaction !

Of course once a bell has been rung, it cannot be unrung, so you can never return to the place you were before as a fully believing JW.

You are in the same delicate situation I was in as I woke up and realised that all was not as it was claimed to be in the JW religion.

I can assure you that being hasty in word or deed is simply a bad thing. Take all the time you need, and keep your thoughts to yourself until you are truly ready, and properly equipped, to handle your situation.

Your journey from now on will be an exciting one of discovery,discovering truths, and discovering that real friends are to be found, and that the real life is one of joy.

I wish you and all your fellow travellers down the road to freedom all the very best !

• cappytan
    cappytan

Hoo, boy. Wish I had read these last night!

First, thank you so much to all for the support. We may not all share the same convictions about the scriptures or Christianity in general, however we all recognize that something is wrong with the organization...that the ring of "truth" is just not there.

Second, if I had read all these thoughts last night, my evening would have gone much differently. I'll elaborate further in a new thread.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    cappytan Your experience is somewhat similar of that of mine. After noticing that the Watchtower Society  is a deceptive organization, which tends to minimize its serious errors, I still believed that Jehovah was God and Jesus was our Savior. But after appliying a critical analysis to the Old and New Testament, I had to admit that Yahweh can't be God. The books of the Old Testament have many contradictions and moral problems, which show that there was no coherent god inspiring them.  A loving god can't order you to kill infants (read 1 Samuel 15:1-5). A loving god can't promote revenge (read Numbers 31:1-2).  A genuine god can't proclaim false prophecies (Ezekiel 29:12). This is why I don't believe that the Bible can provide us a trustworthy  guide. 
  • southwest
    southwest
    Thank you all and hello!
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome cappytan!

It seems everyone has a certain journey regarding faith where many of us exit.

I used to believe in the invisible, silent, ominipotent, omnipresent, omniscient Sky Daddy too. This is what I was told to believe as a child. We are all molded to believe certain things as children. But as adults, we need to use our critical thinking skills and our intellectual honesty about these beliefs. What is working and what is not? Getting educated about what we've been told versus what is, in reality, fact, is key.

I started my journey of non-belief as a 10 year old girl. The Ethiopian famine of the late 1960s/early 1970s had me questioning the claim that God is loving, merciful, and all-powerful. When one hears day in and day out of thousands of people dying of starvation, one begins to question the voracity of such claims. In other words, what is really happening is NOT substantiating the belief statements. My journey continued as a teenager where I began disagreeing with the Watchtower's doctrine and interpretation of scripture. Two of my biggest issues were, and still are, the misogyny, both religious and Biblical, as well as the strict no-blood policy. I knew as a teenage girl there was no way I could ever subjugate myself to my husband. And I could not fathom for the life of me how a symbol of life (aka blood) could be far more important than life itself.

I used to believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus too. But then I grew up. Perhaps losing faith is part of the maturation process.. 

"Jesus is Santa Claus for adults." -- Christopher Hitchens

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit