Overheard JW Phone Conversation

by new light 9 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

I was sitting down to lunch yesterday when I heard the man at the table behind me say into his phone "Yeah, it's going to be hard since they want us to pioneer in April."

Of course, I was all ears at this point. Next thing I could pick up over the din of a crowded restaurant was "He has to go to the meetings for a year before he can come back." I also managed to hear the word "disfellowship".

It was a little wierd, I must say. The guy was only in his early 20's, so he had a lot of life in front of him. I was tempted to say something like "It's a shame your religion makes you shun your friends over a silly mistake." But, I thought that talking to a complete stranger about his religion during lunch would be something a JW would do. So, I let it go.

One thought that occured to me after is this: (said in Jeff Foxworthy's voice) "If you use the word 'pioneer' as a verb, you might be a Jehovah's Witness."

• snakeface
    snakeface

Interesting that he said, "...they want us to pioneer in April..." rather than, "...I would like to pioneer in April..."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"If you use the word 'pioneer' as a verb…
    …you might be a Jehovah's Witness."

Hmm.

“If you think reading the Awake! magazine gives you the equivalent of a college education…
    …you might be a Jehovah's Witness.”

“If you feel compelled to think Prince is awesome in spite of yourself…

“If you consider ‘happifying’ to be a real word…

“If Michael Jackson’s death made you feel confused…

“If Smurfs make you nervous…

“If you think the End of the World is the coolest thing that could ever happen…

“If 9-11 gave you a hard-on…
    …you might be a Jehovah's Witness.” *ducks head*

• unshackled
    unshackled

"If all your friends are janitors and window washers...you might be a Jehovah's Witness."

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Interesting that he said, "...they want us to pioneer in April..." rather than, "...I would like to pioneer in April..."

Also interesting that he explicitly addressed separation/isolation between classes in the congregation by saying "they." The elders are always "others," never part of the larger group. That social divide gets clearer and clearer over time.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Good observation, Palimpsest. I remember as a single brother, I was expected to do more in the congregation - more hours in service and so on. Meanwhile, a married brother did not have to do his laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning, or anything else except work the same number of hours I did. He at least had a stay-at-home wife who would do these things for him.

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

I think you missed a chance to talk to this guy? If you see this person again You may want to strike up a conversation. It's up to you. I know I would have. You never know what will happen. best wishes . JWD

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I came across this thread searching for "You might be a Jehovah's Witness if..." jokes.

Unshackled: "If all your friends are janitors and window washers...you might be a Jehovah's Witness."

How about "If all the people you have theological discussions with are janitors and window washers...you might be a Jehovah's Witness."? 😺😆

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If you`ve got your head up your ass waiting for Harmageddon ,I`m pretty sure your a Jehovah`s Witness.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

If the word "soon" means anything from a week to a century, you might be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit