Watchtower Study (1/16/2010)

by FrankWTower 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

I was just going over this week's WT study and I found this paragraph (p. 6) that I found so mind boggling, that I want to share:

As mentioned in the preceding article, a fundamental goal that you can set is to prove to yourself that what is said in the Bible is true. (Rom. 12:2; 2 Cor. 13:5) Your peers may believe in evolution or in various false religious doctrines because others have told them that this is what they should believe. However, you can rise above such thinking when it comes to your own beliefs. Remember, Jehovah wants you to serve him with your whole mind. (Read Matthew 22:36, 37.) Our heavenly Father wants you to build your faith on evidence.—Heb.11:1.

Prove to yourself that what is said in the bible is true? Do they mean their bible (NWT)? Or their interpretation of the bible?

Our peers believe stuff because that's what we've been taught? Or because we accept their teachings if they're reasonable and based on evidence?

Build faith on evidence? What? That makes no sense. Belief in the bible requires faith because evidence is scarce. What evidence?

• parabola
    parabola

...spot on. unfortunately, your logic is too logical ha ha...

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Ah ya got to give them credit for double speak!

on one hand they tell you to examine whether what the bible says is true, then turn it around that if you come to any other conclusion you have been turned by 'peers' or false religion because we all KNOW that it is with US!

and the appeal to human emotion of wanting to be better... rise above such nonsense...

sticking fingers down throat...

ack ack uch yewwww

oz

• VM44
    VM44

What issue of The Watchtower does that quote come from?

I want to read what other statements are made in it.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Yes we must be like the bereans, except not in groups outside of those already living in the same house, then you are up for disfellowshipping.

We must examine whether what the bible says is true, unless we find that it's not, then we must come up with clever excuses or wait for the writing committee to come up with clever excuses.

• VM44
    VM44

First the articles say:

"a fundamental goal that you can set is to prove to yourself that what is said in the Bible is true."

Then the very next sentence says:

"Your peers may believe in evolution or in various false religious doctrines because others have told them that this is what they should believe. "

So The Watchtower is telling people in advance to "prove what is said in the Bible is true", that "this is what they should believe"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit