TO DRINK ALCOHOL AND WATCH THE PACKERS!

• wasblind
    wasblind

But yet, a young man in high school is discouraged playing sports

because it promotes competition, those old men in Brooklyn

must really dislike the young.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Yah, fortunately for me I wasn't a JW in high school, I loved playing football (not soccer for you non-north americans).

A JW friend of mine is a big sports fan, goes to pro football, basketball, has parties at his house for the big games ... and yet I would hear him sternly telling his children why it was wrong for them to go to school sporting events.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" and yet I would hear him sternly telling his children why it was wrong for them to go to school sporting events."

WasBlind shakes her head,

the sister who studied with me, convinced her nephews parents to put a stop to him playin' highschool football,

but gave her husband tickets to see his favorite team for their anniversary.

everything about the JW's is a double standard

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aaaaugh!!!

The Governing Body seems to deal regularly in hypocrisy...

SO many examples of their - as WasBlind said - "double standard[s]"...

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

All I have to say to you is GO FALCONS!!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

damn it! Packers just had a touchdown and seconds left on the clock...

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

What a game! Can't help but feel a little sorry for the Falcons ... nope, I think it was just a little heart burn.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WTBST can prohibit boxing as too violent, yet fails to take same position on (US)football or soccer, tho there are more casualties. Those sports are way too popular for them to do so, I suspect.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

We have had Circuit Overseers comdemn football, they weren't very popular on that topic.

I think the GB alludes to this sport (and/or hockey) in the 2006 book "Jehovah's Day" (bold mine)...

*** jd chap. 9 p. 121 par. 19 Dealing With Others as God Desires ***
    Though Habakkuk was forced to keep looking upon mere trouble and the "violence in front of" him, it grieved him. You might now ask, ‘Would he be comfortable sitting with me and looking at the programs I regularly watch on television?' Ask also, ‘Would he set aside time to be a spectator at so-called sports events that are violent by design, players even wearing protective armor like that of ancient gladiators?' With certain games, the thrill for many springs from fights on the court or the field or those between crazed fans. In some cultures, many watch violent films and videos centered on warfare or the martial arts. This may be excused as history or a display of the nation's cultural past, but does that make the violence more acceptable?-Proverbs 4:17.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit