OK Blood card

by Bonnie_Clyde 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I had a doctor's appointment last week, and we talked about the blood issue. I informed her that I was no longer a Jehovah's Witness and that I would accept blood if it meant my life. She reminded me that she will make a note of it, but that I should inform the local hospitals--in the event that I had to be hospitalized and was in a coma and couldn't speak for myself. I have a record of refusing blood in the past when I had surgery. She said the hospitals would be obliged to honor my original directive, and nothing in her files would do me any good. She also suggested that I keep a card in my wallet stating that I would accept blood.

I remember discussions about this on this board before but haven't done anything about. Does anybody have a copy of a blood directive stating that they have reversed their decision on not taking blood? Something small enough to carry in my wallet? I plan to get everything in order this week.

Bonnie

• bite me
    bite me

They reversed their teachings?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The only reason you would need to do that would be in case "the brothers" or your family members come around and say "No blood" if you are in hosp. and cannot speak for yourself. Otherwise, I think it's pretty much standard that you will get blood if you need it---regardless.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am not the records of any local hospitals...but I have a signed legal directive in my doctors files saying that (something like) If my wife's sincere religious convictions prevent her from agreeing to the use of blood for me, My directive is that it should be used if my life is in danger"

I also always wear a Medical Alert pendant under my shirt, saying the same thing.

• blondie
    blondie

As far as I have seen, the WTS has only "adjusted" their definition of blood fractions, but transfusions are still forbidden.

What I have done is had a healthcare proxy drawn up based on the legal requirements in my state in the US. I have filed a copy in all the clinics and hospitals in my area. I keep a copy in my files and am having one copied for my wallet. A lawyer can help you but it is not necessary. Most states have a website with directions on how to file it and how to copy the forms.

You will need to select a primary and secondary proxy who will honor your wishes, preferably a non-jw relative or close friend, someone who can stand up to the pressure from your jw family.

Use this as an opportunity to detail your other medical requests, do no resuscitate, organ donation or not, etc.

Blondie

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I have been in hospital 4 times this year & each time I have been asked "are you still a jw"?, each time I have awnsered no & the have taken notes on the subject, so now one of the first things I ask on visiting the clinics is, do the records show I am not a jw?. I'll tell you, each time I have said no, you can see the relief in the staff, knowing they don't have to treat me in the jw way.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thank you for reminding me to take that blood card out of my wallet and destroy it.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    I have been in hospital 4 times this year & each time I have been asked "are you still a jw"?, each time I have awnsered no & the have taken notes on the subject, so now one of the first things I ask on visiting the clinics is, do the records show I am not a jw?. I'll tell you, each time I have said no, you can see the relief in the staff, knowing they don't have to treat me in the jw way.

This is why it's so important to get a directive to the hospitals and clinics in my area. Even though Clyde and my two sons would not force the issue, if I had a bad accident, was taken by ambulance to the hospital and was in a coma, I believe the hospital would have to treat me according to what they have on record--which at this time is, NO BLOOD.

I'll check my state website as Blondie suggested...but it seems like I saw a scan of an "OK blood card" (my terminology) on this forum at one time.

Bonnie

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It's true. Hospitals do have records of us as Jehovah's Witnesses. I recently went to a local hospital which I'd never been to before and they had me down as a JW who refuses blood.

I told them to change their records which was no problem. As yet I have not called the other hospitals in our area to change my status with them.

I NEED TO DO THAT

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I was just hoping that somebody on this forum might have put an "OK Blood Card" together that I could copy. It wouldn't have to be very long--something like, "I am no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Although I would prefer not to have a blood transfusion, I am willing to accept one of it is a matter of life or death." My signature plus a witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit