Where do you go from here?

by still looking 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• still looking
    still looking

After either being a Witness or studying with them, and you find out stuff that has you leave, where do you go?

I don't think they are the true religion, but I do think they teach a lot of stuff that is correct. Like the trinity being a false doctrine, no idle worship, including crosses, and hell isn't a forever torture.

Has anyone found another religion that doesn't embrace those things? I am also a believer that pagan traditions, such as Christmas is wrong. My grandfather who was Dutch reform in name only, used to preach that every Christmas.

My family never went to church or had any religious belief when I was growing up. I went with a friend to a Lutheran Church and at age 8, with no bible education what so ever, I looked at the large crucifix that hung behind the preachers pulpit. It said thou shall have no graven images, and even back then, I thought, "what's wrong with this picture." Spent a weekend at a friends house when I was 9 and went to the Catholic church with her. That is when they still had the masses in Latin. Scared the crap out of me, all those statues, the chanting, the smoke. Reminded me something from a late night horror movie. I ended up taking communion, just did what my girlfriend told me, then found out that it was a sin. I don't believe the Catholics are the true religion either, so that didn't concern me.

But is there a relgion that encompasses the truth without the cult? Or do I just keep studying the bible and praying and living my life as I best I can following the bible's principles.

I am a bit gunshy after all that I went through with the JW's, of where I was looked at as a number in a book, for attendance or hours. I was really upset when I found out my pioneer was calling me in the morning for a chat, not because we were friends, but to start her hours, so she could go back to sleep, but start the timer from the time I answered the phone. Heck, a lot of the time we were witnessing, we were at garage sales and such. I asked if we should stop our time and start it when we were done. Nope. Like God doesn't know?

I don't want to be just a paycheck for the next preacher who comes along. Is there any true religions out there, or has religion been too corrupted, that even those that preach it don't realize it anymore?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Where do you go from here?

You get to decide to go wherever you'd like to go. This is what Liberty is all about.

Regarding the doctrines you've mentioned, ALL of them are based upon a unique interpretation of Scripture. Black-and-white thinking in these areas will likely just frustrate and confuse you.

Welcome to the forum!

• tec
    tec

Welcome Still Looking.

You just go to Christ. He is the truth. You're not going to know everything or get everything right, and neither is any denomination out there - except to follow Christ, and to have faith in Him. That is the work that God requires of us. Read the bible if you want or need to (preferably not the NWT - I like the NIV), and 'hear' the mercy and the love and the faith that He both taught and lived, that covered over any sin, rule or regulation. Then live by that.

He is who you go to. The rest of us... we all make mistakes and can mislead, out of malice or ignorance.

Oh, and I don't believe that taking communion is a sin for anyone. No matter what age, or level in a church hierarchy. Christ told us to eat his flesh and drink his blood - otherwise we have no life in ourselves. It was men who created rituals and rules and limitations around that.

Tammy

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I don't want to be just a paycheck for the next preacher who comes along. Is there any true religions out there, or has religion been too corrupted, that even those that preach it don't realize it anymore?

I'd recommend a non-denominational Christian church in your area. Problem is many of those are cults too.

My first recommendation is just chill out for a while (maybe a year or two) and just do some personal research and find your spiritual niche by yourself then seek out others who feel the same way as you.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Has anyone found another religion that doesn't embrace those things?

I could answer with a list of religions, but the vast majority that don't embrace those things you listed would be non-Christian and many of the others would have something you object to.

You don't need organized religion. That's a leftover from JW thinking. Or you can find some sort of organized religion that simply encourages you to look at things for yourself and it isn't so rigid in insisting that you do things or believe things exactly the way the rest of the flock does.

If you need sermons on Sunday or like-minded followers of Christ, you can find them. No lightning wil strike you if you visit churches and don't find "the truth" in them. Enjoy your journey to seeking truth.

• antes8080
    antes8080

welcome still looking!!! i also think that some of there doctrines are correct like the trinity and others but you also just have to search for yourself and beleive what you whant...

tec what translation is the NIV

• tec
    tec

Antes - NIV = New International Version. I know there are others that are more recommended, but I love the flow of the language in this one, and I've used it for many years.

Tammy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Take a Left at the next "StarBucks"..

Then follow the Yellow Brick Road..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I recommend looking into Atheism.

• antes8080
    antes8080

thank you tec will go get one,, i just got two difrent translations in the past weeks and dont mind getting another..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit