The first Apostate? Young James Sullivan Fled From the Work and Prayers of Pastor Russell's Society.

by Mythbuster 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle New York. Tuesday November 9, 1909, page 11

James Sullivan, a tall, fifteen year-old boy, plead not guilty to being a juvenile delinquent before Judge O'Keefe in the Children's Court yesterday. The real charge against the boy is that he has too much of a hankering after personal liberty for the son of a missionary of Pastor Russell, Watch Tower Tract and Bible Society. Last year James was at ?? Adventist school the Fox River Academy at Sheridan Ill. but he left a little before the official commencement. To forestall any renewed enrollment at the school this year, he came to Brooklyn about a month ago to see his sisters.

That, he now feels, was a foolish move, for his sisters are both employed by the Watchtower Tract Society here in Brooklyn, and with the husband of one are members of the Pastor's brotherhood family at 124 Columbia Heights.

The father is a travelling preacher for the society out on the Pacific coast. The boy's mother is dead and the sisters are only half sisters but for all that the boy was well received and set to work. That, and the frequent prayer meetings he was forced to attend both at the house at 124 Columbia Heights, were too much for the boy, so he fled to Philadelphia but came back to Brooklyn Sunday afternoon and was arrested. The sisters want to send him to a reform school where he cannot run away any more. He hopes to appeal to his father before he gets sent away.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The first logan's runner.

S

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

No one found this interesting?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I did! Thanks for posting this account, Mythbuster. Very interesting to me (whose U.S. family began in that era in old NYC) and became the typical 15-year-old JW "rebellious youth" a few generations after.

Is there any one here who was raised in it, who cannot relate to this young guy's circumstances? It was either sink or swim, and it appears he was trying to swim his way out of it as best he could.

Hope he made it to shore.

James Sullivan, may you rest in peace. And if, on the outside chance you're still with us on this earth, more power to ya'.

~Sue

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thanks Betterdaze. I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking, there's not much about this religion that's changed in over 200 years.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I spotted that one myself today.

I would love to know what happened next. My search of the Eagle didn't turn up any more, but the OCR isn't that great and I might have missed something.

• yknot
    yknot

Fascinating..... wonder what happened to him?

Guess I will now have something to phone search or ponder during the WTStudy......

(logging off and grabbing bookbag)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit