WT Society wants Elders to Conceal Information to Psychiatrists- Elders Bk.

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINDMELDA:

I am sorry about your dad's panic attacks. I had one or two when I was in my early 20s and let me tell you, it was a scary experience. By the time I became a JW, I was more confident and the panic attacks ended.

Anyway, as far as your dad being criticized from the podium by somebody, whether they used his name or not, if I were your dad, I would be using my MIDDLE finger to clean the corner of my eye, if you know what I mean. Maybe the symbolism would be lost on the idiot on stage but I would do it anyway.

I always despised people who either used the podium or answering at meetings to take pot-shots at somebody else in the kingdom hall. What contemptible behavior by grown people!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Mindmelda, your story struck a nerve with me. You're not alone in your experience of having someone attacking you in the congregation like that.

• flipper
    flipper

MINDMELDA- I'm glad to hear that things are going more smoothly for you friend. You make some really great points ! So true that when Witnesses get counseled they are essentially handed their brains back in a " pickle jar ". Very true. Elders only paid attention to people many times when " counseling " them - translation " harassing " them. And it's so true that psychologists and counselors don't have a CLUE about what goes on inside the Witnesses unless someone like yourself exposes it to them. It's horrible how your dad was treated by the other elder. There are so many passive aggressive people in Jehovah's Witnesses that they DO chase off the decent, loving people.

LONG HAIR GAL- Very true . WT society doesn't want ANYBODY on the outside finding out skeletons in their closets- especially how authority figures treat Witnesses. I also despised people trying to make points by comments or snipe on other people at meetings.

SABASTIOUS- I bet that sent you into an even greater depression when elders read you a scripture saying the " stupid one isolates himself ". The nerve of those elders ! I'm sorry they treated you that way. I definitely agree that more elders and authority figures within the JW organization have driven people to suicide than we probably know of.

BALTAR 447- I agree. Mindmelda is not alone. So many have been attacked unjustly in these congregations psychologically , mentally, emotionally and every other way possible. It's appalling

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I thought I posted a question. Maybe on another thread. The manual says something about not revealing confidential matters in a therapy session. Other Witnesses are involved. The session is inviolate. The md cannot reveal what happened. So whose privacy is compromised? If you don't reveal things, therapy can't work. It seems a great way to protect criminal abusive JWs, esp. pedophiles.

The wording in the manual is awkward. Normally, their writing is very legalistic but I am stumped on this one. I'm not understanding something. Of course, I've been out for decades.

• flipper
    flipper

BAND ON THE RUN- Your assumption is correct. Elders are instructed to tell JW members to be cautious about informing Psychiatrists or counselors because they fear some criminal offenses could be exposed like child abuse or even that a registered sex offender ATTENDS meetings even. WT society instructs elders how to protect the legal interests of their organization . That's ALL they care about. Not the individual members

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It makes no sense. Of course, they never, ever made sense. With the settlements the Roman Catholic Church has paid, and more importantly, the loss of believers and extremely bad press, isolating pedophiles should be a priority. Don't ask. Don't tell. The hallmark of abusers everywhere. First, I don't understand why Jehovah himself doesn't enforce his org. better. How can a pedophile get beyond Jehovah's scrutiny?

Legal issues arise. I suppose elders aren't mandatory reporters. The press --- nothing could be worse press.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. All I can assume, esp. based on experience, is that certain religions attract mentally ill abusers. The culture of JW nurtures them. My experience was so all-encompassing. Decades later I'm only catching glimpses of how bad it was. Abused people do not know what normal is. They can only guess. Jesus said, "the truth (small t) shall set you free." There are legal privileges within legal privileges. Confidentality exists even without a privilege. Would the Witnesses rather a therapist hears it in time to remedy the situatio or face massive publicity when a suicide or abuse case happens?

The denial is so huge.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

I am writing this for my husband TotallyADD because his ritalin has worn off. Back when he was an elder he went to a sister who was a therapist. She helped him to

clear his mind. She really helped him to discover answers to his emotional turmoils he had been carrying around since childhood. (He was raised a Witness.)

She gave him many tools to cope with his anxiety, depression, PTSD, & ADD. He is very grateful to her for clearing his mind so he can see the WT for what it really is---

a mind-controlling cult. One thing that shocked us was that at the beginning of his therapy she gave him a paper to sign which said that if he revealed

anything during the sessions that was a disfelloshipping offense she would expect him to confess to the other elders or she would!!

Reopened Mind

• flipper
    flipper

BAND ON THE RUN- You are right- the WT society has NEVER made sense. As you stated you would think with the Catholic lawsuits on child abuse- that the WT society WOULD make it a priority to isolate pedophiles in their congregations and keep them from working with children out in service or keep them from calling on doors in public which non-witness children could open up ! But saving face even to their own members is a priority to the WT society so their own members get deceived as to how BIG a problem child abuse is within the WT organization. WT society is like all cults- they restrict access to needed information , they don't GIVE access to needed information. The reason Jehovah, or God doesn't do anything about it ? God isn't running their organization. Seven 50 to 75 yr.old men and WT attorneys are running their small organization and they have a lot to lose if the truth came out.

In time I believe MORE media exposure will reveal more criminal acts within this WT organization. It's just a matter of time.

REOPENED MIND- Wow ! Incredible. That JW lady is a therapist and told your husband to SIGN a paper saying if he revealed a disfellowshipping offense that she'd have to report it to the elders ? My God. Did you know she could lose her MD and Psychiatrists lisence if she did that ? They have confidentiality laws restricting counselors from revealing patient's private information ! Jesus Christ. I'm glad your husband benefitted from her counsel- however if she's a JW I would highly suspect that much of what else your husband says is going to the elders ears as well. I'd trust her as far as I could spit . Better be careful. How did the therapist respond when your husband said he thought the Witnesses are a cult ? Did she respond as a therapist or JW ? Just curious. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

FLIPPER: To clarify the JW lady was a therapist (master's degree) not an MD or psychiatrist (doctor's degree). TotallyADD finished his therapy 5 years ago. Even though she helped him clear his mind

it still took him some time before he could figure out it's a cult. She doesn't know he thinks the Witnesses are a cult.

Reopened Mind

• baltar447
    baltar447

JW counselors are a joke. If you can't trust your therapist then it's just another disfunctional relationship with a fellow lonney toon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit