JW Shunning is pissing me off

by Hairyhegoat 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Disfellowshipping versus SHUNNING
    The point of this commentary will be to show that the Watchtower Society's shunning doctrine does not adhere to the Bible. Further, an understanding of congregational practices of first-century Christians in the Jewish culture is necessary for a proper understanding of the scriptures on this matter.

The primary scripture for consideration is:

But now I am writing you to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.--1.Cor. 5:11 (NWT)

The text is clear that a person with whom the congregation should not mix company is one who is:
    1) "called a brother" (that is, one who professes to be a member of the congregation); and
    2) practicing fornication, greed, idolotry, reviling (insulting), habitual drunkeness, and/or extortion (theft).

• Jehovah's Witnesses do not disfellowship greedy persons.
    • They often do not disfellowship people who regularly get drunk unless their conduct becomes so outrageous and publicly-known as to bring reproach upon Jehovah's Witnesses.
    • They do not disfellowship people for many of the things which they themselves class as "idolatry" (for example: materialism, worshipping an organization, etc.).
    • On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses do disfellowship and shun people for:
      • no longer claiming to be called a brother/sister.
      • independent study and discussion of the Bible that brings Watchtower doctrine into question.
      • possession of literature written by former members.
      • having lunch with a former member, even if the former member professes to be a Christian and was not disfellowshipped for fornication, greed, idolotry, reviling, drunkeness, or extortion.
      • attending a service of any other church or religious organization.
      • authorizing a blood transfusion, even to save the life of a child.
      • numerous other actions not mentioned in scripture, but deemed by the congregation elders to be "unclean conduct," or "conduct unbecoming" of a Jehovah's Witness. "Conduct" in this case covers a broad range of actions not clearly defined by the Society, leaving discernment about what is not acceptable to the discretion of the congregation's elders. As a result, standards by which people may be disfellowshiped are inconsistent throughout this religion which claims "unity" to be one of their identifying characteristics.

My JW DAD has not contacted me for 6 weeks so he must have his arse in his hand over something or the new directive has got to him as we are inactive. My older brother and his 3 kids have not seen me or my kids in over 2.5 years, just because we dont go to the meetings!! Well if this is what they want to do then when they are in need or a family death occurs they can do it all on there own as My family will shun them just like they have us even if it is my dad that dies, we will not be going to anymore of this horse shit. This family was very strong but now is broken and my mom is turning in her grave. I hate all JW'S and the christmas tree and lights/ decorations are going up next weekend!!!!!!!

Hairyhegoat

• badcompany
    badcompany

Wow, man... I understand your anger. Your first sentence is relating JW doctrine with the Bible. They do NOT relate. Don't let it consume you as a person or it will kill you. Put the lights up enjoy the season. Your relatives are just adapting to the latest whipsaw doctrine. I've been dealing with it for 30 years (my Father has been an elder since ~'72). The rules have changed recently as near as I can tell. My Mom takes my calls but Dad is always busy. Wasn't that way this summer.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hairyhegoat,

This Watchtower religion does more harm than good. Sorry to read about what you are going through. Shunning is very destructive socially and psychologically to families. When the Watchtower says its love to shun a family members, I think that is deception of this highest order.

Scott77

• Scully
    Scully

If you are DFd, just remember that the rules apply to the ones on the inside, not to the ones on the outside.

You aren't required to shun, so you can, if you are up to it, not allow them the opportunity to shun.

Your choices are (a) treat them the way that you've always treated them or (b) participate in the shunning by avoiding them. I'm getting to the point in life where I'm not terribly inclined to make their life easier by participating in the shunning.

The most embarrassing thing you can do to a JW is approach them in a public place, with lots of onlookers within earshot, and go up to the JW and treat them with kindness and dignity. If they choose to shun in that circumstance, you are well within your rights to very loudly make commentary about how you forgot that they are required by their religion to shun you, not because you've done anything wrong to their knowledge, but because some jack@$$ at the Kingdom Hall instructed them to do so. Finish up with "Oh well, to each their own. For what it's worth, I've never been happier... and I bet that's just eating you up inside while you slave away for that Publishing Company that masquerades as a religion. Enjoy!"

• thumperspooner
    thumperspooner

Hi Hairyhegoat read every word you said and share your pain greatly. this is my first post as ive just recently joined ive been a spectator for a while. as things have been brewing up and i just cant cope with it and them any more. i have my own personally experiance spanning over 15 years being shunned not shunned to shunned and then not shunned . such yo yoing. and i shake my head in disbelief that parents can do this to there children like what has been done to me and my sister.

perhaps in time i might find it easier to say what i need to say, and with every ones help and advise but at the moment iam pretty messed up. thanks to the society. will they print the countless sad tramatic stories that many of us and my self have go through at the hands of the societies mis handling of things? no they wont but they will print a one off article published i think in febs 2011 magazine stating how {just one witness account may i remind you} that he claims he is gratfull to the shunning policy since this made him realise that it is truely gods clean organization. yeah right. so what do you call the organiztion when key menbers and others still talk to a disfellowship ones when attempting to go back say attending meetings or assemblies and you imform these ones that your disfellowshipped but they turn around without battering an eye lid and say dont worry and contiue to strike up a spiritual conversation with you. more lies they print.

hope in time to speak with many and learn how to cope

• read good books
    read good books

Great points hairyhegoat. It shreds the societies arguments based on that scripture. Of course the Governing body doesn't have to go by the obvious meaning of the scriptures only their completely invented interpretation of the scriptures. If the scripture says red and the Governing body says it said blue the JW's dutifully repeat in Orwellian fashion that the scripture said blue.

• bohm
    bohm

Welcome, thumperspooner!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

the christmas tree and light

s/ decorations are going up next weekend!!!!!!!

Already did mine days ago!!!!!

Please just let that crap go. Stay clear of any negative stuff. You only have 1 life. Live it to the fullest.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

What a great point regarding that scripture. I intend to use that one.

Welcome to the board Thumperspooner. I hope you start your own thread and tell us your story. In the meantime, if you haven't read any of the "best of series" you will find them informational.

Back to hairyhe goat - I hope you post more things along this line. I can use all the argument I can find for my JW family. I REALLY liked this arguement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit