Why don't JWs celebrate Thanksgiving

by levicolemagic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Welcome LeviColeMagic.

One thing, I don't have a copy of the new Flock book on hand, maybe somebody can look it up, but there may be a softening of their position on Thanksgiving and other holidays. Too early to tell. I'm thinking we'll find out more when the KM School starts next month.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They say that setting aside a day to give thanks makes people not bother to do it the rest of the year.
    Their real reason is to make JW's feel uncomfortable with their non-JW family.

"They" get drunk and gluttonous. "They" give thanks to some God who is not "Jehovah." The JW can feel superior that he sat at home and skipped the family gathering.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

My dad, who was a faithful JW until his death had an interesting viewpoint of it. He said that if we refuse to eat turkey on thanksgiving, or refuse to visit with family who we would normally visit just because it's Thanksgiving day, we would actually be observing the holiday and therefore displeasing Jehovah. He said just do what we would normally do that day, and don't give it anymore signifigance than we would any other day. I can't agree with a lot of what JW's believe, but my dad sure tried to be balanced on things.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LEVICOLEMAGIC,

They differ just for the sake of being different and also because they are just plain cruel. They love to punish the flock and deprive them of simple pleasures. There must have been some very masochistic, miserable, sour personalities in this religion and somebody decided 'no holidays'.

Of course, their reasoning is pure crap. How could anybody think there is something wrong to get together and spread out a nice meal for relatives and some friends? This is particularly painful for singles in the congregation and bothered me, particularly. Why would Jehovah only be pleased if I am home alone staring at four walls? Does this make any sense?

I also suspect they disapprove of JWs getting together with non-JW relatives because they are simply afraid that the JW will get unconditional love from their non-JW family and will REGRET they ever got involved with this vacuum of a religion.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    2. Gluttony and Drunkeness
    I suppose they have a valid argument on this one. With the exception of the fact that they do celebrate anniversaries. If an anniversary party doesn't at least promote drunkenness, I don't know what does. In other words, even witnesses get drunk, stop being so pretentious about it.

Personally, I can't see that they have a valid argument on this one. They are, in effect, penalizing people for what they might do, or on the basis of what others have done. Not everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving eats and drinks excessively.

If penalizing people on the basis of what might happen is acceptable, they maybe all elders should be imprisoned because they might molest a child. If nothing else, it would be a great preventative measure.

W

• I quit!
    I quit!

There are a lot of reasons they don't allow it. One would be that it is fun and the Watchtower doesn't promote having fun. Another would be the Watchtower likes Witnesses to believe that they are separate and better than everyone else. Also witnesses usually get the day off and people are at home. What better way to irritate your neighbors and ruin what could be a nice day with friends and family for your followers.

• Ding
    Ding

Why don't JWs celebrate Thanksgiving?

Because Christendom invented it.

• blondie
    blondie

It's a national holiday like the 4th of July in the US.

But that doesn't stop jws from having a turkey and eating with friends/families.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s don`t Celebrate ThanksGiving because..

That`s the Day..

John the Cross-Dressing Turkey,got his Head Cut Off..

http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/Turkey.jpg

................................. ...OUTLAW

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

Thankyou for all of your comments on the article so far. I plan to write others. I know the main reason they don't celebrate is the society tells them not to. I was hoping that by discussing the other reasons, Any JWs stumbling across this article would have some things to think about.

I still agree that turkeys and beheading have something to do with it. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit