Did Young Jesus Have Any Memory of His Pre-Human Existence?

by leavingwt 18 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

(Via this post at JWR.)

"Evidently", the Writing Department [celebrated WT scholars] cannot decide. . .

In this week's (2010-11-17) Book Study the following paragraph was studied in the Come Be My Follower book:

Think again of the incident when young Jesus spoke up at the temple in Jerusalem. Recall his words to his anxious parents: “Why did you have to go looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in the house of my Father?” (Luke 2:49) As a young boy, Jesus evidently did not yet have any memory of his prehuman existence. Still, his love for his Father, Jehovah, was intense. He knew that such love naturally found its expression in worship. So there was no place on earth as appealing to Jesus as his Father’s house of pure worship. He longed to be there and hated to leave. Moreover, he was no passive spectator. He was eager to learn about Jehovah and to express what he knew. Such feelings did not begin when he was 12 years old, nor did they end at that age.

(My Follower: Page 133, Chapter 13 paragraph 12)

In the Watchower of August 15, 2010 that was studied 2010-10-03 the following was discussed:

Early in Jesus’ life, Mary apparently disclosed to Jesus certain facts about his birth. Thus, on one occasion when Mary and Jesus’ adoptive father, Joseph, found Jesus in God’s temple, the young child asked: “Did you not now that I must be in the house of my Father?” (Luke 2:49) Evidently from an early age, Jesus knew that he was God’s son. Magnifying God’s righteousness was therefore of great importance to him.

(WT-ST 2010-08-15, page 9)

• designs
    designs

Geez two changes in one year, usually they pace themselves better

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Technically, I suppose the celebrated WT scholars could say that "knew he was God's son" is not the same thing as having knowledge of his pre-human existence. However, to the outsider, it appears that they are clueless.

• designs
    designs

You would think with modern technology like email and twitter the two Departments could talk to one another once in awhile and get on the same page

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I think maybe some, but not all.

Technically, I suppose the celebrated WT scholars could say that "knew he was God's son" is not the same thing as having knowledge of his pre-human existence.

It isn't, really, as you point out. From the Gospels, several people came to know who he was, even the shepherds tending the fields around his place of birth at the time of his birth. I hate to say it, but there is no inconsistency between the bolded quotes. "Memory" and "knowledge" aren't exactly the same thing.

BTS

• james_woods
    james_woods

Wouldn't it just be easier to just write - "the Bible does not say, so we do not know"?

• designs
    designs

James- what's the fun in that when you can stir up religious folk with good speculation

• james_woods
    james_woods
    James- what's the fun in that when you can stir up religious folk with good speculation

Besides "proving" that Jehovah directly gives the WT writers special knowledge...

• sd-7
    sd-7

It seems odd that this would even be a subject for speculation, as the Bible is silent on the matter and it has no bearing whatsoever on the endgame--Jesus dying for our sins. When I was still in, I made the mistake of saying to a couple of Catholics that Jesus had no memory of his prehuman existence. "Where do Jehovah's Witnesses get their theology?" they replied. I felt embarrassed, as I knew that statement had no scriptural support whatsoever.

I noticed this statement is also in the kids' book, Learn From the Great Teacher. Why is there a need to mention this point repeatedly when it is speculation? Odd.

-sd-7

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Why is there a need to mention this point repeatedly when it is speculation? Odd.

Well, by their OWN ADMISSION, those who simply use the Bible turn into apostates. The entire framework of the belief system requires special knowledge not found in the Scriptures. I'm beginning to think it might be a. . .cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit