romans 13:1-7

by serein 7 Replies latest jw friends

• serein
    serein

can anyone tell me what this means,

does it mean like a religiouse group does it measn like i have to do what the gb says cos god aloud em to be here and what ever tell me what u think, does iit just mean goverments of this world or does it mean religiose ones. im confused.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Romans 13
    Submission to Governing Authorities
    1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Do you pay taxes to religious organizations?

• Ding
    Ding

It means government authorities.

The WTS has flip-flopped on this many times, sometimes says it's government authorities, at other times saying it's Jehovah and Jesus.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You get to decide what (if any) meaning this has. Freedom.

• serein
    serein

on another web site there anser was not wether it ment goverments of the world but wether i should sumit to goverments of men on the earth who are put here to teach us and they said yes,now i said so i should listen to the gb of jws then,

and they said yes in afect cos they here cos god alows them to be here and we need teachers cos we cant teach ourselfs from the bible, so now im all confused cos i dont want to follow man i want to do it myself and acording to them i cant cos god gave us teachers and we should be listening to em.now im scared iv left the holy people of god to be in satans world and that iv fell of the path. so iv sent em another replay saying how do i know who to listen to if all religions claim to have the truth and be gods holy peole.

• Ding
    Ding

Every time you start to think the WTS is the truth, read a chapter or two of Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz and you'll see how little the WTS really knows.

• trebor
    trebor

Another case of the flip-flops for Jehovah's Witnesses...

Superior Authorities (Romans 13:1)...

= Worldly Governments or Authorities
    [Studies in the Scriptures Series I - The Divine Plan of the Ages (1886 edition) page 250]

-1916 = Worldly Governments or Authorities
    [Studies in the Scriptures Series I - The Divine Plan of the Ages (1916 edition) page 266]

-1929 = Jehovah God and Jesus Christ
    [Watchtower June 1 and June 15, 1929]

-1950 = Jehovah God and Jesus Christ
    [This Means Everlasting Life (1950) page 197]

-1962 = Worldly Governments or Authorities
    [Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules! (1962) page 548]

-1990 = Worldly Governments or Authorities[Watchtower November 1, 1990, page 11]

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

In this passage, Paul is answering the question of whether a Christian should, basically, do what they are told bu the governing authorithis, in this case The Roman Empire.

Paul said Yes, you must do what they tell you and he makes note about taxes ( probably because THAT was the main issue of the question he is answering).

Paul KNEW that rebillion is NOT a good thing for the emerging Christianity, so he nipped it in the bud, as he did with the slave issue.

To openly rebel against Rome was lead to persecutions and death, which is what ended up happening a few times over for various reasons, one imagines what would have happened of you add rebellion and inciting slaves to rebel to the list.

Paul knew that that best way to freedom was the famous "free your mind and the rest will follow", he knew that by "behaving" and doing what they were told ( in terms of following secular Law) that the christians would not only surive but expand and be allowed to preach.

Of course persecuations happened anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit