Memorial talk

by Gorbatchov 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

It was a year ago we visited the KH at last. Yesterday evening when went to the memorial for family reasons.

The memorial talk was very slick.

There was no mention about the early christian times, no mention about the apostles and disciples.

It was a present day talk only.

The ties to the foundation of christianity were totally absent.

Gorby.

• carla
    carla
    Was it mostly about the org? being faithful to the gb/org? how long did it last? my jw was gone quite awhile. Did anyone at your kh partake?
  • Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever

Instead of starting a new topic about the memorial which I was on, I can you a bit of my experience. Although I sat and daydreamed some of the time, I heard a lot of talking about the anointed and that they are really sure about their calling and so on. The speaker even managed to mention one person in the GB, I think it was Jackson, about an experience he had with someone asking if JW would go to heaven, The speaker almost had an admiring look on his face when talking about him. Our speaker by the way is a well know elder in my country, he has been CO and I think everyone knows him, wonder why our cong got him.

Anyway I thought: Shouldn`t this speech be more about Jesus and his sacrifice than about something else? It´s not getting through to me, I dont get feeling I am supposed to get (whatever that is). So I watched the movie Passion of the Christ when I came home, it gave me at least a hint of what Jesus pain must have been like, although I think its a bit excessive, but anyway...

One person partook btw.

• prologos
    prologos
    Gorby you are right: "slick",-- all about the present. there was of course not even a faithful slave partaking or serving before 1919.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This was he first year that I was unaffected by the Meh-mori-hell sermon. Last year I was freaking out because I thought I would partake in public, and I wasn't sure what would happen.

Now I know it doesn't matter. It was just a boring ceremony that lacked any real spirituality or warmth. It was cold and corporate, some stuff was passed around by ignorant Eldubs, then it was over.

It's simply a "thing" that JWs do.

DD

• fukitol
    fukitol

My last ever memorial, a few years ago now, felt exactly the same as Data-Dog describes above. Cold, corporate, lacking any real warmth or spirituality. It felt perfunctory, ceremonial.

Even on the most important night in the Christian calendar, the anniversary of Christ's death, the Watchtower simply cannot bear to give Jesus any real honor or glory. Most of the memorial talk is a brief and clumsy apology to their queer 144k doctrine rather than a stirring message about the meaning of Christ's death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit