Wedding Officiation

by grewupjw1969 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

I have a question. As I was reading the "Shepherd The Flock" book 12:8 (boy do I think that's stupid) I saw that an elder has to make sure he can officate at a wedding.

Who determines whether he is qualified to do that? They aren't recognized by any other authority to be ministers.

Grewup

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I do know that in Australia, you have to be a Justice of the Peace in order to be able legally officiate over a wedding.

I'm guessing this is what you're asking? I don't have a copy of the hallowed book so I don't know the context of the paragraph in question.

• designs
    designs

You have to check local or State Laws and make sure being an elder is recognized, if not you sign up as a Justice of the Peace.

Since I stepped down as an Elder and left several years ago I have married several couples as a Justice of the Peace.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Depends on where you live.

Here in the UK the building (KH) has to be registered for marriages. A nominated elder (or visiting registrar) fills in the register after the ceremony, but anyone in theory can conduct the marriage service.

George

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

It's the questions they will ask you about petting and such. Ugh. Nasty and humiliating.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

@ GrandmaJones Yea... the questions are riduculous. Its to invasive

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

@Designs... I was just wondering if that makes the wedding legally official. It would be a sad thing if all the JW weddings were not legal

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

@ Broken Promises....You have a PM

• blondie
    blondie

In this area, elders have to have permission from their body of elders (specifically the Congregation Service Committee) in order to perform a marriage inside or outside the KH. Although qualifying according to secular requirements, that elder could be punished (I've seen it happen)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit