Do you hate the person you were, in the WT ??

by wobble 9 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

When I look back, I can do so with rose coloured spectacles, but, in truth, I do not like the Cult member I was.

O.K , in mitigation I was one of the most liberal JW's in a very liberal congregation, I never did the 100% shunning bit, I found nice seats (not at the very back, and next to their family if poss.) for the DF'd ones after giving them a proper welcome to the K.H for example.

But I still see clearly that my thinking was twisted by those mind controlling bastards who run, and write for ,the WTB$

I did not trust anybody worldly to any great degree, I believed the "system" would end one day and so I didn't have to contribute anything to it,.

I could go on, but basically I hate all those things about me that were from the Cult.

How about you ? as you look back on what you were do you cringe ? are you a much better person now ?

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I was a self-righteous arse. Looking down on the poor worldlings who were soon to be birdfood. I hate how I used to sneer at people with other faiths and with different sexual preferences. I now see people as human beings. I especially hated how I was an uncharitable bastard. The first thing I did when I got out was to send £50 worth of toys, sweets, and stationary equipment to orphans in Romania for Xmas. It was something run by the church, and I had no guilt whatsoever for doing it. I now really like to do community and charity work, and regularly donate to real causes, instead of a crackpot publishing corporation.

Got that off me chest....

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Do you hate the person you were, in the WT ?? Yes but it was a good life lesson and if it was not the Watchtower it would have been somthing else.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I was told I had wisdom beyond my years and believed I did when I was only a kid without much experience. I hate that.

I didn't know how to say no - so I was a yes man (or yes kid).

I was brought up naive - hadn't kissed a girl till I was 18. Had no idea how to get a girl or what to do if I did. Never allowed to date as a teenager. That meant the first girl I went out with wrapped me round her little finger. I hate that.

I didn't work hard enough in school because the end was going to come. I had no goal at the end of school like going to Uni. I hate that I didn't try harder knowing it was all bunkem.

I shunned a good friend at a wedding. I was under the spotlight and felt I couldn't chat to him with everyone watching. I asked if he was coming to the reception in the evening as I wanted to catch up with him later when people weren't around. He said yes but then didn't turn up. I never heard of him again. I hate that fear controlled me.

mmxiv

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

No...

but if i had stayed and made elder i think i would have been a hard core party line kind of guy.

Its the 12 years out that made me a more compassionate empathic man.

oz

• Newborn
    Newborn

Hate is a strong word...but I love the person I am today more I think I am a better person.

I agree very much with oldlightnewshite's post

Newborn

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I do hate who I was as a Witness. When I was young teenager I was a self-righteous jerk and a tattle-tale who had absolutely no confidence in himself and only found strength by doing what the organization told him to do. By the time I left, I was a total hypocrite, leading a double life and lying to everyone around me--but still demanding perfection of others.

• Ding
    Ding

The WT inflicts on JWs a terrible tension.

First, it imbues JWs with a condescending, arrogant, holier than thou attitude regarding everyone who is outside "the truth."

At the same time, JWs are never sure they themselves will prove worthy enough to obtain Jehovah's approval.

Once you see those two things, you want a better life.

Sadly, many JWs can't see those things or, if they do, have been brainwashed into thinking that no better life is possible.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I thought I was depressed for years.

Turns out, I was just surrounded by the most depressed, judgemental, critical people I've ever met in my life.

Once I got out, I realized what a happy person I am!!

• Ding
    Ding

I think what turns us off most about active JWs we know is remembering how we used to think just like them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit