Dealing with other versions of "the truth" ?

by man in black 2 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

My wife and I left the jw religion about two years ago. My reason was seeing the non-existent "brotherly love" in action when my Mom died.

Her reason was much the same after seeing how cold the witnesses can be, but she felt that she had outgrown the witness belief system.

So she bacame a mormon !

I have nothing to do with her beliefs, but once in a while I will attend a social gathering with her new friends.

Personally, I am in a search mode, looking closely at the religion I was raised in before becoming a jw.

She on the other hand has no problem jumping from one mind controlling group over to another..

I have made it very clear that I will never become a mormon, or have no intrest in studying their beliefs and mainly her friends have given me a wide berth whenever religion creeps into the conversations.

But last week it seems like I had a complete change.

There was a farewell party for a young couple from the church that were moving across country for a new job. It was held at someone's house and there must have been upwards of 50 + people there. Suddenly I felt like I was an unbeliever in the middle of a group of witnesses. You see, I was the only one present who was not a member of the mormon church. I noticed the same attitudes, and cliques just like the jw's,,,,, only I was on the receiving end this time.

How in the world do I deal with this .

The whole mormon belief system just fractures my thought process everytime I think about it,( baptism of the dead, polygamy in heaven, unreal some of the things they actually believe as fact)

Christmas is coming and certain ones seem to try the old witness trick of becoming my friend, and hopefully I will show an interest in the religion, but when I don't they just vanish.

• Ding
    Ding

Tell them "Merry Christmas" but "no thanks" on becoming a Mormon.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Yeah, I used to think JW beliefs were whacky, then I read up on Mormons and then Scientology. Nuts!!!!! Seriously, the JW beliefs are actually quite "tame" when compared to those other 2 cults.

It's quite funny though, we have a poster on here who's an X-Mormom and they post on here and another forum for X-Mormoms. They've stated many times how similar the stories are of treatment, history, beliefs, shunning, etc, etc are. It's like crossing into some sort of similar, but not quite the same parallel universe. Even some of the X-Mormon forums are set up like this one.

Weird to say the least, but it really solidifies the fact that these "American Cults" are so similar in tactics used, etc.

- Wing Commander

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit