Gossip, Slander & Lies

by grewupjw1969 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Hello All,

In helping a fading friend of mine do some research on Prov 6:16-19 about the 7 things destestable to Jehovah, I came across this article. I thought it interesting that they used the footnotes to try and stop the talk about the GB. What about how they treat people who have left the organzation?

*** w89 10/15 How Harmful Gossip Can Be Crushed ***
    Good Works Stifle Harmful Gossip
    20 Paul knew that harmful gossip was often related to idleness, not plenty of good works. He was not pleased that some younger widows had learned “to be idlers going the rounds of the houses, and not only idlers but also chatterers and busybodies, talking of what they ought not.” What was the remedy? Wholesome activity. Thus, Paul wrote: “So I would have younger ones marry, bear children, keep house, not give the opponent any opening toward abusive talk.”—1 Timothy 5:11-14, Byington.
    21 If women manage a household, train children according to God’s standards, and engage in other worthwhile pursuits, they will have little time for idle talk that can lead to hurtful gossip. Men too will have less time for such speech if they are occupied with good works. “Always having plenty to do in the work of the Lord” will help all of us to avoid the snares of harmful gossip. (1 Corinthians 15:58) Especially will wholehearted involvement in the Christian ministry, congregation meetings, and other godly pursuits keep our minds on spiritual matters so that we do not become unoccupied gossipers and meddlers in other people’s affairs.
    22 If we keep busy in godly works and seek to bless others spiritually, we will be loyal friends, not disloyal talebearers. (Proverbs 17:17) And if we avoid damaging gossip, we will have the best Friend of all—Jehovah God. Let us remember that seven things detestable to him are “lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers.” (Proverbs 6:16-19) Gossipmongers exaggerate and twist things, and slanderers have false tongues. Their words set in motion the feet of those eager to bear tales. Almost invariably, contention is the result. But if we hate what God hates, we will shun hurtful gossip that can damage the upright and bring glee to the great slanderer, Satan the Devil.
    23 Therefore, let us make Jehovah’s heart rejoice. (Proverbs 27:11) Let us avoid speech that he hates, refuse to listen to slander, and do our best to crush harmful gossip. Surely, we can do so with the help of our holy God, Jehovah.
    [Footnotes]
    Even today it is not advisable to listen to and spread sensational tales (often not based on any fact at all) about what members of the Governing Body or their representatives have supposedly said or done.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Some of the worst offenders of these things are Elders and their wives.

The problem is they are believed above all others.

I know from bitter experience!

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Dont I know it fokyc...My dad is an elder and is the biggest gossiper I know. Pllus he has said some very untrue things about me.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

These articles were probably written when the news leaked out that Greenlees was a homosexual/pedophile

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit