BBC program on Scientology - similarities to JWs

by dozy 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

An interesting program on Scientology was aired on the BBC on Monday- you can view the program on the BBC iplayer here (may be restricted for UK residents only)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/default.stm

There certainly were similarities with the JWs (although the description of Scientology as “the WTBTS on Steroids” is an accurate one.)

(1) Shunning of apostates Scientology is very similar to JWs in this regard , going a bit further & expecting wives & husbands to shun. Their term for apostates is "defectors" and disfellowshipping is "disconnection". A few heart rending stories were heard of children not speaking to their parents for years – very similar to witnesses.

He began by telling me about the moment when he decided to get out: "I knew as I was walking out - that was the last time I would ever talk to my wife, my children, the rest of my family. I couldn't take it anymore. When I left I felt I had been freed."

Mike was subjected to what the church calls disconnection. His wife, daughter, son, brother and mother have cut him out of their lives.

Mike was one of a number of people we met who effectively grew up in the church and have since left.

Those who speak out say they can be deemed by the church to be enemies and subjected to disconnection - when all ties to family and friends are severed.

The church acknowledges some Scientologists choose to sever communications with family members who leave. The church says it is a fundamental human right to cease communication with someone. It adds disconnection is used against expelled members and those who attack the church

(2) Not allowed to read anything adverse on the internet Identical to JWs – Scientologists are told that they should never read anything as this would damage their “spiritual progress”.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It was a really interesting documentary. Even though I came away thinking the Scientologists are even more nuts than JW's.

I think we should all write to Panarama and get them to do a similar expose of JW's.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I think we should all write to Panarama and get them to do a similar expose of JW's.

I agree cantleave.

Most people think/see Scientology as a cult, whereas most view JWs as just a pushy religion. The world should be warned about them as well, then if someone still wants to be a JW, by all means go for it, at least they were warned.

3Mozzies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit