FUNDS ON DEPOSIT(again)

by Cook My Socks UK 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

A letter was read at our place this week, the WTS has asked us to pass a resolution asking that we leave our funds with the society at 0% interest as opposed to the 1% below bank rate(which at the moment means nothing).

Of course, it was passed.

• cantleave
    cantleave

of course it as - has anyone here ever known a resolution not to be passed?

• St George of England
    St George of England

We had that letter some weeks ago and I fully expected a resolution to be read and as all resolutions are, automatically passed. However, not so. The BoE have apparently thrown it out and not put it to the congregation!

George

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

BOE are responsible for the funds of the cong, which boils down to the brothers money - fair play to your elders!

• cantleave
    cantleave

BOE are responsible for the funds of the congregation. If you really feel that it is the brothers money you don't know the borg very well. I really want a charities commission investigation in the UK, to see who really does control the congregations money.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    of course it as - has anyone here ever known a resolution not to be passed?

No, but I DID see someone raise their hand once when they asked for "all who oppose." She was the only one in a cong of about 150 people.

Chick had guts!

-Sab

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

If cong was to borrow money from the branch, is it payable with interest - anybody know?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Man I always wanted to raise my hand to oppose!

We did have one old brother who, while he would not actually oppose resolutions, would always raise his hand to ask awkward questions, especially about whether the CO really needed the money that was gifted to him all the time. He was also semi-removed as a MS (still one in name but no longer gave talks) because he always wore a hat. He died a few years ago.

• undercover
    undercover
    has anyone here ever known a resolution not to be passed?

Havent seen one not pass, but I did see a hard fight one time. It started with some new guy elder who moved in from up north and tried to immediately change things to his liking. Half the congregation were under his spell, the other half thought him a slimeball. When they brought up a resolution to change the meeting nights...because new guy wanted to... half voted for it, half voted against it. It was so close they had to vote three times. By the third vote, a good third of the voting members just gave up they were so disgusted. The resolution did pass...by about 5 votes.

Man I always wanted to raise my hand to oppose!

I saw a brother oppose a resolution on spending funds one time. I can't remember the details, but he was a successful businessman and as the elder laid out the plans, he actually asked questions, though never to his satisfaction. When the voting commenced, he voted against it...alone. Afterwards he was called in the back room and "talked to". Which begs the question, why bother having a vote if you're going to berate anyone who opposes the resolution?

The one thing it did for me was to keep me from voting from then on. I refused to vote after that. No point in what I thought...it was always unanimous no matter what anyone said or did. It was a farce.

• wobble
    wobble

In our Congo. it was even more of a farce, they never asked for dissenting votes, only those in favour of the resolution, and always claimed, without a count, that the majority voted for it !

I often said that I doubted it was legal to do it that way, I do hope it comes back to bite the arrogant SOB's Elders in the bum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit