Was the legend about Smurfs being demonic just an urban legend, or was it mentioned in the literature?

by IsaacJ22 43 Replies latest jw friends

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I never heard about the Smurfs being evil until I joined the forum. But when I look in the Volume Library, the word doesn't come up. I was wondering if anyone ever heard mention of it in the literature--as in, was it an official position?

Also, I've been told that Mork & Mindy was seen as a bad thing because they were living together, but unmarried. (Like Mork was getting all kinds of action...right.) I think my wife told me that one. No references found there, either. Were both of these just local complaints/urban legends, or were they "legit" complaints from the Society's leadership?

I'm working on something right now--a podcast for my site, actually. If these problems were unofficial, maybe I can find some other complaints that were equally silly to include by searching the forums. If anyone wants to suggest a few, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks for your help.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was just another JW urban myth that did the rounds.

I heard it here in New Zealand.

• new light
    new light

The Smurfs thing was just word of mouth as far as I know. One story that made the rounds was that a JW boy had Smurf curtains in his bedroom and one night the little buggers climbed off the curtains and walked about the room. I'm sure the story ended with him yelling out "Jehovah" and being saved.

Back in 1990-91, the Simpsons were mentioned from the assembly platform as being an evil influence. Not demonic per se, but debasing.

• teel
    teel

I only heard about the smurfs on the forums, but there was the urban legend about the two sisters visiting a serial killer, who left them alone, because he has seen two big and muscular guys behind the sisters - the angels accompanying them in FS. This is doing the rounds here in eastern Europe, and as I read on this forum, in US too.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Well, guess I'll have to remove a few of my wise cracks. ::Sniff:: Thanks everybody.

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

Yep I heard the same story about the smurf curtains. (Wouldn't mind if smurfette jumped into my bed!! She is the hottest smurf ever!! I also heard another smurf story about smurf stickers and when they were ripped they started bleeding. What imagination they have!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

As a child in 1983 I heard that two toy smurfs came alive and savagely bit a sleeping baby and then climbed out the window. It concerned me at the time that this crime could be pinned on two missing cuddly toys. I was told it by an elders son and wasn't allowed to watch the smurfs again. I never heard any of this from the platform or read it in a magazine because I was listening/looking out for it.

MMXIV

• elderelite
    elderelite

one thing you may want to look up..... there were some "pop culture" phenomenon that were criticized in the pages of the awake, usually watching the world. A few examples I recall were something called "garbage pail kids" ( there were very popular in my area) and Pokémon. The blurbs were short but they showed an overreaction to something basically innocent.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I heard the story in the early to mid 80's. I went to an elder to ask if it was true, because my children loved the smurfs. He said not to worry about it until an article or a talk was given about them. There was no articles or talks.

There are several interesting urban legends I've heard since being here. One is the number of people that weren't allowed to eat Lucky Charms cereal. Cereal..for crying out loud.

I only heard about the smurfs on the forums, but there was the urban legend about the two sisters visiting a serial killer, who left them alone, because he has seen two big and muscular guys behind the sisters - the angels accompanying them in FS. This is doing the rounds here in eastern Europe, and as I read on this forum, in US too.

My husband heard this story as a kid, he was raised as a Baptist (was never a JW) and it was a older chruch Brother that was preaching that this happened to back in the 40's.

lisa

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist
    one thing you may want to look up..... there were some "pop culture" phenomenon that were criticized in the pages of the awake, usually watching the world. A few examples I recall were something called "garbage pail kids" ( there were very popular in my area) and Pokémon. The blurbs were short but they showed an overreaction to something basically innocent.

I don't remember them criticizing Pokemon per se... I think they talked about the infamous Porygon seizures incident... Though I do remember having to defend my ass off about my extensive Pokemon collection. (Which is quickly becoming more extensive ^_^)

I heard a bit about the smurfs in the Lie, but the big thing I remember hear about being evil was the Cabbage Patch Kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit