High School Homecoming and MUMS?

by yknot 19 Replies latest social physical

• yknot
    yknot

As most of you know........ I am from Texas originally.

Each year as Homecoming rolls around schools across that state become 'frenzied' with various 'school spirit' activities ending with the wearing of mums (garters for boys) to school on Friday.

I recently was talking to a 'YANKEE' boy and he didn't know what I was talking about (mums/garters or homecoming)......(blasphemy!).

Anywho it got me thinking...... is Mums/ garters limited to Texas/Oklahoma? (Surely our Southern Cousins too have them -- right?)

Did your school have Mums and garters for homecoming?

If so did your Dubbie-parents allow to wear them? (ours didn't at first and all of us dubbie-kids saved money all year to make 'paper-flower' ones)

If you do mums/garters for your kiddos now.....how much do you spend and do you purchase them from the florist of make them yourselves?

Our schools only requirement is to tape down the bells and no one is allowed to blow on the whistles during school hours.

See examples below! (most mums are pinned at the shoulder but in recent years due to the heaviness some have been worn with a ribbon around the neck......garters however are always on the boy's arms)

Vintage:

• yknot
    yknot

Even when schools officially 'ban' mums/garters (suck it ISD to the west of me!)

Mums get snuck in via.... mum rings (or finger mums) and hair mums!

Rings

Ponytail mums

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

totally ridiculous tradition fabricated to prep the little dummies into being lifelong consumers willing to pay big money for things w/out any inherent value.

• zoiks
    zoiks

It does seem strange to me, a native New Englander.

• yknot
    yknot

Zoiks, what are yall's traditions for homecoming up yonders?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

What self-respecting Dubbie parents would let their little dubbies have anything to do with Homecoming? The South, might as well be a foreign land to me.

• yknot
    yknot

What can I say high school football is still 'big' ..........

Like I said at first their was opposition .....but as all of us got more settled in the community one of our more 'moderate' Elders caved to his girl's desires and that was that...... we all got to participate (even in pep rallies..... I know....shocking right....!!!).

There was a revival to return to the hardliner ways a two years after I finished school but the banning of pep rallies but it was cool because we got a new principal and he made the pep rallies really lame and preachy so the DubbieKids were envied by many for being able to ditch the mandatory event.

The only 'issue' I remember was the nationalist stuff..........but even the Elders stood instead of remaining seated.

Oh come on they are uber-fun!....

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Hi Ynot,

This is as good as it gets here in California..

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm in the northeast, this is completely foreign to me. When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about JWs secretly going to homecoming and keeping quiet about it, aka "Mums the word." I never in a million years would have thought MUMS was a pin-on peakcock custume. It looks kinda......tacky. I can't believe I just typed......tacky. That word is so not a part of my vocabulary, but it fits the occasion, no pun intended.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Wanting to be a great and nourishing mother is so gorgeous. Enjoy every minute.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit