Headshrinkers

by transhuman68 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Having visited various mental-health professionals over some years in a vain attempt to get what I laughingly call my thinking-process in order; and having read some books on the subject, I’ve come to the conclusion that it may end up being an unproductive waste of time and money.

If, for example you went to a psychologist with the same expectations as you would with a doctor’s appointment, i.e. a prompt diagnosis, you might be disappointed; for three reasons:

1. The shrink may expect you to eventually realize what is wrong and discover the answer, and you don’t, thinking that is the shrink’s responsibility.

2. The shrink may be afraid to tell you what they think, in case you get angry/scared/offended, and cease treatment before you are 'cured.'

3. The shrink might really need the regular payments you provide and be happy for you to be a patient forever.

This is my opinion… for what it’s worth.

• Quando
    Quando

I agree with all three statements

People tend to trust a title rather than the person behind the title, at the end of the day the Dr. has his own problems.

The best route is going with referrals and if you do not have referrals search online and go with your gut, their are excellent, honest people out their that won't bend you over in pricing.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah it seems like you do all the talking. They ask questions. You give answers. Then they look at you like "figured it out yet?" I guess the thing that is helpful is if they validate your feelings and maybe tell you what the feeling or thought is related to. I didn't realize certain feelings I had were related to fear and loss. So that was something I learned...

• xmkx
    xmkx

I've spent 13 years dealing with the mental health community along with taking some behavioral science classes and all I have to say is that it seems pretty pointless unless you have a psychiatric condition. There's nothing in counseling that a good self help book and good supportive friends/family won't cover.

That being said, if you don't have a good support system, counseling may be the only way you can get support.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit