One of my heroes: Farrell Till

by Terry 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Endless hours of delicious reading!

I share with you one of my intellectual heroes: Farrell Till.

Till was a minister whose efforts to understand what he believed led him to discover everything wasn't the way it had been represented to him in Seminary. He was a missionary and preacher for many years before he decided he could not put his life behind distortions.

He turned to disseminating what he had discovered about the misrepresentations in Christianity.

He is a an earlier version of Randy at FreeMinds!

FARRELL TILL'S ARTICLES

Home

Debates Index

The Authors

Post Comments Here

The Skeptical Review:

"James Patrick Holding: The Want-to-Be Apologist" - The unedited version of an article originally published in the July/August 2002 edition of The Skeptical Review. added 07/15/05.
    "Nothing More to Prove" - The front page article of the final (November/December 2002) issue of The Skeptical Review. added 07/15/05.
    "Retrospective History in 2 Samuel--NOT" - Roger Hutchinson attempts to prove that retrospective history was not involved in the Old Testament prophecies of an everlasting Davidic kingdom. added 07/15/05.
    "A Monument to the Failure of Biblical Inerrantists" - Farrell Till's reply to Hutchinson's attempt to disprove retrospective history in Old Testament prophecies. added 07/15/05.
    "Spitting into the Hurricane as Your Clothes Get Blown Off" -The introduction to Robert Turkel's website article by the same title. added 07/15/05
    "Seasoned with Salt?" A reply to Turkel's hurricane article that shows how his insults and sarcasms violate fundamental Christian doctrines. added 07/15/05
    "From the Mailbag" Letters from readers on a variety of subjects. added 07/15/05

Resurrection:

"Smorgasbord Debating" - by Farrell Till (A reply to Mark McFall's article, linked to from within the document.)
    "Objectively Commenting on a Believer's Objective Comments on Evidence for the Resurrection" -A reply to Mark McFall's attempt to find evidence for the resurrection in the New Testament gospels. Added 01/22/05
    The Mary Magdalene Problem - Farrell Till replies to Robert Turkel's "Tomb Visitor Checklist." Added 1/24/05

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Wow, he is not only brave but a very hard worker.

Good find.

• moshe
    moshe

A few years ago I read his debate with Norman Geisler. He made it look so simple.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrell_till/geisler-till/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It is easy to be a skeptic.

Pot shots from the peanut gallery.

Now stake a claim....and defend it.

That takes balls.

Skeptics are often cowards.

Everyone has assertions.

Brave people make them for all to see.

Many Skeptics hide them....yet go after other's.

Is there such a thing as a true skeptic?

What are your assertions?

Let it all hang out!

Be honest...even though they may get assailed!

BTS

• Terry
    Terry

Being skeptical is smelling the milk before you drink.

Being skeptical is checking out your daughter's boyfriend before you let her stay out past ten.

Being skeptical is watching the weather forecast before the road trip.

Being skeptical is a sign of intelligence, of being rational, of being a good steward.

Nothing needs staking out.

Skepticism is part of the thinking process. An important part.

Balance in life is the hard part.

Not being so eager to die for a cause or argue a point is a sign of maturity.

Sometimes the patience to watch, wait, listen, research and think trumps guns-a-blazin'.

The genuine hero says it when ears don't want to hear it and takes the knocks and walks the line simply because no other life is possible

than the real one.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

>>> yay I get to post!!!:

It is easy to be a skeptic.

>>> back it up. Is it easier to just trust without research or is it easier to doubt and not believe until some ceirtainty is achieved?

Pot shots from the peanut gallery.

>>> This I dont get,

Now stake a claim....and defend it.

>>> yes I am up for that.

That takes balls.

>>> takes balls and knowledge and desire, not just balls

Skeptics are often cowards.

>>>uh!!! then I should start running I have been called a coward

Everyone has assertions.

>>>Lots of wisdom here. Everyone makes mistakes, how about that one.

Brave people make them for all to see.

>>> Brave and also dumb people too. Actually if I am making an assertion and I make it for all to see I am also arrogant.

Many Skeptics hide them....yet go after other's.

>>Skeptics dont believe assertions

Is there such a thing as a true skeptic?

>>> as much a true doubt.

What are your assertions?

>>>This board is made of electrons.

Let it all hang out!

Be honest...even though they may get assailed!

• Terry
    Terry

Did anybody read any of Till's writing yet? He is a no nonsense kind of writer. I like that.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

Dude, Terry, I'm searching your posts because I have taken an interest in you but I belong to a book club, plus I have a huge other stack of books to read for school, etc... not only did I not do any of the reading, I didn't even read the whole list posted here. Why don't you provide Cliff's Notes - or: Terry's Notes

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

"All the skeptics here are cowards in a peanut gallery taking potshots at brave guys with big balls like me."

-Burp the Shits 3:16

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit