Jehovah's Witnesses on Facebook

by slimboyfat 20 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am surprised how many active JWs there are on Facebook.

Has the society ever put anything in print discouraging Facebook in particular? Would someone on Facebook be viewed as "weak spiritually"?

Was Facebook named in outlines of Convention talks? I am sure I have heard Facebook named as a danger at Assemblies and Conventions. Was the speaker following written instructions or adding his own application of a more general warning about the Internet?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, there's apparently been a few warnings, hasn't affected any of the jws on my fb friend's list cuz I still see them.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/187935/1/JWs-having-Facebook-Sex-Strongly-warned-to-get-off-FB-at-CA-yesterday

• man in black
    man in black

I have been out of the jw religion now for two years.Once in a while I do a little trolling, and just see what the witnesses from N. Illinois have been doing. ( FYI : I have NO witness friends on FB)

For a long time I noticed that they were much like the "world" , swearing, drinking, and making fun of authority figures.

But it seems within the past two months 99% have locked up their profiles.

Maybe that is a way for them to continue being on FB, and not letting anyone outside their friend - list know what they are honestly thinking, or doing.

Funny thing, there is a guy who is in his early 60's, and once was a powerful elder, but gave it up. I noticed that he now has an account and is friends

with many of the young ones in the hall.

I think that he is keeping his hand on the pulse of the young people and secretly reporting back to the elders, telling them what is really going on.

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife is active and on facebook as are some of her friends, I'm sure.

• TD
    TD

FB was specifically mentioned at this summer's convention as a source of bad association. (The speaker seemed a little vague on how it actually works.)

It's like trying to shovel back the ocean with a fork though. There are large networks of JW's on FB.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

It's like trying to shovel back the ocean with a fork.

Absolutely. Well said

Life (and truth) will find a way

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

July 2007 Kingdom Ministry:

Question Box

What are the dangers of using the Internet to associate with someone we do not know?

A number of Web sites have been designed for people to meet and correspond over the Internet. Many of these sites allow individuals to create and post their own profile, which may include pictures and other personal information. People who view the profile can then make contact. Such Web sites are very popular among young people, and some youths in the congregation have used them to interact with others who claim to be Jehovah’s Witnesses.

It is easy for a person whom we meet over the Internet to be deceptive about his identity, his spirituality, or his motives. (Ps. 26:4) An individual claiming to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses may actually be an unbeliever, a disfellowshipped person, or even an active apostate. (Gal. 2:4) Reportedly, many pedophiles use such Web sites to find their victims.

Even if we are convinced that those with whom we are corresponding are in good standing in the congregation, conversations in such a setting can easily drift toward unwholesome material. This is because people tend to be less inhibited with individuals they have not met personally. They may also view online communication as private and feel that whatever they say will not come to the attention of others, such as their parents or the elders. Sadly, a number of youths from Christian households have been ensnared and have become involved in obscene speech. (Eph. 5:3, 4; Col. 3:8) Others have included sexually provocative pictures of themselves, suggestive nicknames, or links to sexually explicit music videos in their computer profile.

In view of the foregoing, parents should monitor their children’s activity on the computer. (Prov. 29:15) It would be dangerous to invite a stranger into our home or to allow him to be alone with our children. Similarly, it is dangerous for us or our children to make friends with strangers over the Internet, even if they claim to be Jehovah’s Witnesses.—Prov. 22:3.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

I wonder how just how hard they are coming down against FB in non-US countries. If you look at that crazy JW Cafe page, it seems the majority are from other countries (or maybe I just hit it on the wrong day?)

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

I sure hate to disappoint ya'll- but many we are NOT controlled by the WTBS- we just weigh and consider their opinions- and accept all proven by scripture!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It isn't disappointing at all, tMJ. The less control the Borg exercises over its victims the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit