Studies in the Scriptures

by brotherdan 9 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So for S&Gs I started reading Russells early works beginning today. I started with the 1886 "Plan of the Ages" book. Already going through paragraph 1 I am seeing some HUGE signposts for what would happen later in the religion.

In his explanation of a beginning of an examination into the scriptures he says that there are only 2 ways open to us. Notice the key mind control words that he used. This is on page 14 of the VERY FIRST BOOK that witnesses wrote!!!

"As inquirers, we have 2 methods open to us. One is to seek among all the views suggested by the various sects of the church and to take elements which we might consider truth." To do this is said to "prevent our correct selection and we might choose error and reject truth. To adopt this method we should lose much, because truth is progressive, shining more and more unto the perfect day. Each of these creeds contain a large proportion of error."

It is interesting to note that they were pulling the Proverbs 4:18 card even from their very first book.

One issue of note in this first chapter of note is that Russell, in a round about way, gives a true prophecy!!! On page 16, he says: "We trust that a wide distinction will be recognized beween the earnest, sober and reverent study of prophecy and a too common practice of general speculation which, when applied to divine prophecy, is too apt to give loose regin to wild theory and vague fancy. Those who fall into this dangerous habit generally develop into "prophets" instead of prophetic students."

This is one of the most telling quotes I've ever read. He fell into his own trap. The fact that this is on page 16 and just a few pages later he launches into full modern day prophetic fulfillment is amazing.

I'm not sure if anyone else will think this is interesting or not. But I just thought it was profound that even in 1886, at the very start of the organization, they made their stance as false prophets before God.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I highly recommend to any JW to read the works of Russell so as to get an eye opening introduction to the religion they are often born into and baptized into with little or no understanding of the history of its doctrines.

Reading volumes 2 and 6 of Studies in the Scriptures was VERY enlightening for me, ....yes it PROVED that this is sadly just yet another end times cult. In those works Russell "proved" beyond doubt both using prophecy and mathematics many things for 1874, 1878, and 1914..... that with that wonderful thing called HINDSIGHT are proven to be totally wrong.

Not a good basis for faith is it

Cheers

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"wild theory and vague fancy."

This definitely describes alot of the crap coming out of NY.

• yknot
    yknot

But I would suggest starting with the 1870s!

Russell started with Barbour...

1879 started publishing on his own.

Many of the pubs can be found here:

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm#magazines

http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/downloads/

Chasson has a very nice collection online as well....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/128918/1/Consolation-on-Demand

(Here is Chasson's full directory http://www.wtarchive.org/deposit/ )

Also...

Lots of remaining Bible Students have websites too!

• wasblind
    wasblind

This is very interesting to know

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Hey, off topic, but I am a little slow on the terminology you kids use today- "S&Gs" does that mean s---- & giggles? Or is my mind in the gutter?

• sherah
    sherah

you got it Serenity!

• ambersun
    ambersun

I'm not sure if anyone else will think this is interesting or not. But I just thought it was profound that even in 1886, at the very start of the organization, they made their stance as false prophets before God.

It was a direct result of finding and reading Russell's books that caused me to start thinking for myself and seeing through the web of deceipt that was the WTBTS.

I would recommend everyone who is interested in trying to get to the bottom of what makes the WTBTS 'tick' needs to go back to the beginning and read all Russell's books and also about the people/societies he was involved with.

Thanks for the links yknot.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I love Thy Kingdom Come book as it was that publication that opened my eyes and set me free. Love the pyramid chapter, I recommend it to everyone.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I found the article "What is Truth" in the very first Watchtower to be an eye-opener for me.

I couldn't see that there was any change in attitute in any era of the Watchtower and this warped view of truth still prevails today.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit