Job 13:16 New World Translation

by PublishingCult 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Does anyone have the very first edition of the NWT Hebrew Scriptures? I am very curious to know how the WTBTS rendered Job 13:16 in their first printing of that publication.

Thanks,

PC

• belbab
    belbab

I have the NWT bound together in one volume in 1963.

Job 13:16 says:

"He would also be my salvation,

For before him no apostate will come in."

I hope this is the one you want.

belbab

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

That is the same as 1957 vol. 3

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Interesting that the NWT is the only translation that renders chnph ( ??? ) as "apostate". Even the WTBTS admits in the Insight book that it's root means hypocrite, but goes on to make the connection spefically to apostasy, and thought well to definitively translate it "apostate", butr does not show any logical reasoning for this rendering.

*** it-1 p. 1164 Hypocrite ***

Although words from the Hebrew root cha·neph′ are rendered “hypocrite” or “hypocrisy” in some translations, such as the King James Version, Douay, and Leeser, other translators have variously rendered these words “profane” (Yg), “impious” (Ro), “godless” (RS), and “apostate” (NW). According to A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament by Brown, Driver, and Briggs (1980, pp. 337, 338), cha·neph′, when used as an adjective, may be defined as “profane, irreligious . . . , godless”; or, as a verb, “be polluted, profane . . . , inclining away from right.” In the Scriptures cha·neph′ appears in parallel with those forgetting God (Job 8:13), the wicked (Job 20:5), evildoers (Isa 9:17), and it is used in contrast with the upright and innocent ones.—Job 17:8; see APOSTASY.

The source material referenced by the Insight book says the following:

T F)3n adj . profane, irreligious (Syr. \A±L 
    profane, hence oft. heathen, apostate; Ar. 1 » ■i ^-
    inclining to a right state, esp. i/te <rwe religion,
    a Muslim)— abs. 'n Jb8 13 + 10 t.; pi. t^Bjn Is
    33 14 ; "^C 1 Jb 36 13 ^- 35 16 ; — profane, godless:
    of persons, T\ D"JK Jb 34 30 ; 'n ^ Is io 6 ; as
    subst. godless man Is 9 16 (|| JPD) Jb 8 13 13 16 17 8
    20 5 27 s Prn 9 ; coll.'n nnj) Jb 15 34 ; pi. Is 33";
    a^wn Jb 36 13 ; Jivo ^yb ,B ?D 3 V 35 16 «« ;^°-
    _/ime men, mockers for cake (i.e. table-jesters;
    on cstr. v. Ges sl30S ), but txt. dub. (v. Che crltn -
    Bae).

Then a few other Lexicons give the following meanings . . .

• Chaneph
      hypocritical, godless, profane, hypocrite, irreligious

Lexicons - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - King James Version Hebrew Lexicon - Chaneph

• Chaneph
      hypocritical, godless, profane, hypocrite, irreligious

Lexicons - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - New American Standard Hebrew Lexicon - Chaneph

• Chaneph
      to be profaned, be defiled, be polluted, be corrupt (Qal) to be polluted to be profane, be godless (Hiphil) to pollute to make profane, make godless, cause to be defiled

Lexicons - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - King James Version Hebrew Lexicon - Chaneph

• Chaneph
      to be profaned, be defiled, be polluted, be corrupt (Qal) to be polluted to be profane, be godless (Hiphil) to pollute to make profane, make godless, cause to be defiled

Lexicons - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - New American Standard Hebrew Lexicon - Chaneph

Babylon 8 translating software gives the following definitions:

to toady, fawn; be sycophant, obsequious to flatter, fawn, toady; pollute, defile

Should I be surprised that the WTBTS has "polluted" or "defiled" the original launguage text of the Scriptures?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome PublishingCult!

Good name :)

Blessings,

Stephen

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

marked for later... thankyou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest