Did anyone notice this? 2-15-2010 WT Welcome to the best way of life

by baltar447 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• baltar447
    baltar447

I was taken aback that paragraph 11 basically says that a relationship with God does not even begin until after dedication and baptism. Did anyone notice this? I've been trying to find any similar statements in the WTL but so far haven't come up with anything.

• yknot
    yknot

Well for topical discussion here is the relevant quote from the article

11 Gaining access to “the secret place” of Jehovah also implies that we have been blessed with the privilege of having developed a personal relationship with him. This begins with dedication and baptism. Thereafter, we build on our relationship with God by drawing close to him through Bible study, heartfelt prayer, and full obedience. (Jas. 4:8)

First thing that jumped into my JW mind was ..... well duh, this article is a pitch for WT baptism..... The 'Best Way' is the baptismal talk!

In reality that is just plain stupid considering the WT dunking 'ordains' a person!

Baptisms must be down..... so they are laying it on thick....

The closest thing I could find in 'confirmation' was ....

*** bh chap. 18 p. 183 par. 24 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***
    Your dedication and baptism are the beginning of a very close friendship with God—an intimate relationship with him

Yes the comment is contrary to previous statements like the one found in ...

*** w06 4/1 p. 22 par. 3 ‘Go and Make Disciples, Baptizing Them’ ***
    . Likewise today, an accurate knowledge of God’s will as found in his Word, the Bible, is essential before one takes the step of baptism.
    *** w06 4/1 p. 27 par. 5 Meeting the Requirements for Christian Baptism ***
    A good relationship with God depended on faith in Jesus Christ followed by baptism.—

From the "Bible Teach"

*** bh chap. 18 p. 182 par. 22 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***
    22 It is the baptism itself that publicly identifies you as a person who has made a dedication to God and is now one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
  • inbetween
    inbetween

During WT study I pointed this out to my wife, even had a question mark on that paragraph...

I wondered, how can you dedicate yourself to somebody you do not have any relation, how can you experience the grace of God, which should move you to dedication, when you not already before had close friendship to the almighty.

Its also fascinating, how contradictory the whole thing is. JW invite people during their bible study to pray and rely on God whle having problems, but then say, well sorry, but you had no personal relation to him, its only after getting dunked....

• yknot
    yknot

...... in reality we are putting too much thought into this.....

The WTS is writing by the seat of their pants now........

Here today, gone tomorrow, recycled the day after Tuesday........ and the cycle continues on and on and on..

• inbetween
    inbetween

yknot, thats probably right, however overzealous dubs do exactly this, they take every single word like an expression from God himself...

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Honestly, I was so taken aback by the title that I didnt bother to read the article!

I was curious as to what it said though - more mind-numbing thoughts coming from the WT.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i underlined during the meeting (and showed to my wife) the paragraph that gave the experience that "many are selling their eartly goods so they can do the will...."

don't know the exact words from here, but the jist was that you should piosneer at all costs since the end is so close and do more, more, more

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Here's the rationale:

You're not in a relationship with Jehovah God unless you're a Dub in good standing.

You don't become a Dub in good standing until you get baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the WTS.

Therefore, you don't have a relationship with God until you're dunked and become a Dub.

OR

This is leading up to a noo lite on baptism where they'll dunk just about anyone and THEN hold them to the rules while developing them into good little JW soldiers afterwards. THAT would be a BIG change.

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

The whole february WT is a JOKE!!!

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

with all that said- WHAT DOES THE BIBLE TRULY TEACH!!!???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit