Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 26 April 2010

by LUKEWARM 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** cf chap. 3 "I Am . . . Lowly in Heart" ***

Will You Follow the Pattern Jesus Set?

Q20. How can we know whether we are lowly in heart?20 Paul admonishes each of us: "Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 2:5) Like Jesus, we need to be lowly in heart. How can we know whether humility is in our heart? Well, Paul reminds us that we should be "doing nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with lowliness of mind considering that the others are superior to you." (Philippians 2:3) The key, then, lies in the way we view others in relation to ourselves. We need to see them as superior, as more important, than we are. Will you apply that counsel?

So the WTS demand for Godlike obedience is an example of "considering that others are superior to you?"
    *** w57 6/15 p. 370 par. 7 Overseers of Jehovah's People ***
    ...respond to the directions of the "slave" as we would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.

Q21, 22. (a) Why do Christian overseers need to be humble? (b) How can we show that we are girded with humility?21 Many years after Jesus' death, the apostle Peter was still thinking about the importance of humility. Peter taught Christian overseers to carry out their duties humbly, never lording it over Jehovah's sheep. (1 Peter 5:2, 3) Responsibility is no license for pride. On the contrary, responsibility increases the need for genuine humility. (Luke 12:48) Of course, this quality is vital not only for overseers but for every Christian.

These hypocrites remind others of "never lording it over Jehovah's sheep" but have established a centralised, legalistic, authoritarian and pharisaic hierarchy which lords it over all!
    22 Peter surely never forgot that night when Jesus had washed his feet-over Peter's own objections! (John 13:6-10) Peter wrote to Christians: "All of you gird yourselves with lowliness of mind toward one another." (1 Peter 5:5) The expression "gird yourselves" suggests the action of a servant who would gird himself with an apron to carry out menial work. The phrase might well remind us of the occasion when Jesus girded himself with a towel before kneeling to perform his task of washing feet. If we follow Jesus, what God-given assignment could we possibly consider beneath our dignity? The humility of our heart should be visible to all, as if we were girded with it.

Guess who the WTS holds up as an example of humility? Joseph Franklin Rutherford of all people!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/5198/1/The-humble-man

Q23, 24. (a) Why should we resist any tendency toward haughtiness? (b) The following chapter will help to correct what false notion regarding humility?23 Haughtiness is like poison. The effects can be devastating. It is a quality that can render the most gifted human useless to God. Humility, on the other hand, can make even the least one very useful to Jehovah. If we cultivate this precious quality daily by endeavoring to walk humbly in the footsteps of Christ, the reward is wonderful to contemplate. Peter wrote: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time." (1 Peter 5:6) Jehovah certainly exalted Jesus for humbling himself so completely. Our God will likewise delight in rewarding you for your humility.

It's really sad the way these hypocrites don't think of themselves when they publish this stuff
    Matthew 7:3-5
    3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother's eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Allow me to extract the straw from your eye'; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother's eye.

24 Sadly, some think that humility is a sign of weakness. Jesus' example helps us to see how false that notion is, for the humblest of men was also the most courageous. That will be the subject of the following chapter.

BOX
    How Can You Follow Jesus?

? When you are tempted to boast about your accomplishments, how might Jesus' example guide you?-Matthew 12:15-19; Mark 7:35-37.
    ? How might you imitate Jesus' example in doing humble work in behalf of spiritual brothers and sisters?-John 21:1-13.
    ? How might you benefit from Jesus' example if you are tempted to seek prominence and success in this system of things?-John 6:14, 15.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For sure, Jehovah is not quick to reward me for anything. Instead, He piles on more requirements and more work to earn the originally promised reward, and ends up welshing on His promises anyways. Yet, He is quick to demand ever more--certainly not good if He expects me to humble to more of His abuse.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

THE WTS DEFINES HUMILITY FOR US

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

they need to view us apostates as superior also.that way we can direct them out of that prison.

• peaches
    peaches

glad i wasn't there.

• bobld
    bobld

Lukewarm you covered all the points .Now work on next weeks study.You need to sent this counsel to the GB so they can learn humility.Also tell them to practice what they preach.

Bob

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

For see The humility of the WTS need write a letters addressed to the GB and to ask explanations on the teachings absurd and to see how they answer.

I think who they not read the letter.

will perhaps read someone that occupy with the correspondence.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Thanks

Ismael

• crownboy
    crownboy

Two questions:

What book are they studying? I have no clue what cf stands for .

How long is the Congregation Bible Study? I know it replaced the Book Study from when I was there, and that used to be an hour.

I was suprised on another thread when it was mentioned that public talks are only 30 mins. now. Looks like meetings are getting shorter.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Rutherford of all people WTF? I would have been outta there in seconds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit