Measuring the power consumption of an appliance

by callitquits76 7 Replies latest social physical

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

I was wondering if anybody could help me get my head around this,

I have a humidity machine running for a few hours a day. It states 'Power consumption : 70w'

Now I understand that 70w is the maximum power it could use, but more than likely, on its lowest setting, it would probably run at much less. Could anybody verify this?

• teel
    teel

Yes, you are right, 70W is the maximum rated consumption, generally it should consume less. If you really want to measure it, you need a wattmeter. I'm guessing your house has one from the electric company for billing purposes, so just unplug everything else and check it if that's possible.

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

great, thats the only answer I need. Thanks!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

You might do better getting a meter that would read the power consumed - something like this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65731

...or something called a 'Kill a watt' meter.

These will read the actual power consumed, and you can then determine how much it is going to cost in electricity.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Kum Vulcan
    Kum Vulcan

I second Jim's advice. Also, keep in mind that 70W (especially in an intermittent mode) is not really that much power. For example, if your device was on 50% of the time on a 24/7 mode, that will mean 840W a day. With average cost of electricity ~$0.15/KWH this translates to about $1.25 a day.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "...if your device was on 50% of the time on a 24/7 mode, that will mean 840W a day. With average cost of electricity ~$0.15/KWH this translates to about $1.25 a day."

Ummm... I may not understand this correctly, but... did you mean $1.26 per day - or 0.126 per day?(Basically - 13 cents)

I would put it at .126 per day - since your number is only .840Kw per day, and your power figure cost was .15 per KW.

But - I may be wrong.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Gregor
    Gregor

You are correct Jim. The decimal point was one place off.

Your humidifier has a thermostat and cycles it's 70w on and off to maintain a set heat. So it actually would use less than, say, a 70w light bulb that is left on the entire 24 hrs.

• besty
    besty

Another alternative would be to sell your house and move towards a more desirable humidity.

Obviously there would be some upfront costs, but you wouldn't need the humidity machine. You'll break even after a few thousand years!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit