Deconversion

by goddidit 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• goddidit
    goddidit

So I gather most of the people on this forum are ex-JWs who have seen the error of their ways.

Good for you guys.

Would that put you in the unique position of knowing exactly how to make a current JW have doubts.

If so, how might that be?

I've tried science, philosophy, even simple logic and pointing out the quote mining but to no avail.

I'm not even saying there isn't a god, just that their version of the story blatantly contradicts emperical science in so many ways.

• teel
    teel

Goddidit, welcome.

Unfortunately there is no surefire method to make a JW doubt, it's highly dependant on the person. I suggest you read the "Combatting Cult Mind Control" or "Releasing the Bonds" by Steven Hassan. You have to understand, the JWs are a cult, and it's a high control group with use of indoctrination. There's not much one can do against that, except a long road of very small steps and hope. There are some who are just perfect to be inside a cult, spiritual children, who couldn't live a meaningful life if noone is there to direct every step of theirs. If one is not ready to accept the truth about the "Truth" (TM) then no amount of logic and reasoning helps.

Is there a close family member inside? My condoleances then. Maybe if you give more details we can help you more. Stick around the forums, you can learn a lot about the cult here.

• behemot
    behemot

Using reason to debunk beliefs that have not been acquired through reason is often a hopeless feat.

As Bertrand Russell put it:

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays (1950), "Outline of Intellectual Rubbish"

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Would that put you in the unique position of knowing exactly how to make a current JW have doubts.

I wish.

It is a psychological game more than knowledge.

By the time we arrive here we have usually blown our best chance of rescuing friends and family from the cult. Once you have been identified as any sort of 'opposer' they turn their brains off every time you open your mouth.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• alanv
    alanv

Hi goddidit, Yes you're right ex witnesses are in a unique position because as you say they have bin there and got the tea shirt as it were.

Because the WT know this, they ban their members from talking to us. They are so paronoid about it, that the society threaten their members with complete cutting off from their friends and family if they speak at any length to ex members about any spiritual matters.

• upnorth
    upnorth

I have never come up with a way into the followers mind.

I'm sure the key into the mind would be to make them think, that unfortunately is want is most tightly controlled by the WBATS. Everything the WBATS hasn't told the follower is probably the key.

That's only a guess

An educated JW is called an Ex JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit