Anti-independent thinking

by sadiejive 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

Cyberguy posted on Sept 16:

Today's Watchtower lesson instructs Witnesses not to think for themselves when it comes to Bible understanding:
    Augest 1, 2001, p. 14, par. 8:

First, since "oneness" is to be observed, a mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rater, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and "the faithful and discreet slave." By regularly taking in the spiritual food provided "at the proper time" -- through Christian publications, meetings, assemblies, and conventions -- we can be sure that we maintain "oneness" with fellow Christians in faith and knowledge. -- Matthew 24:45.

Well, I was just a lurker back on Sept 16 and I passed this little goodie by. I just have (in the last few mins) posted a response to it but I'm sure that it will not be in the active topics very long and I will not get an answer for my question...which is:

Is there anywhere I can find other excerpts from WTS literature that discourages independent thinking??

Thanks!!
    sadie

• JT
    JT

you are a god send

i have been trying t find that ref for the longest

this is the wt best example in my view of Mindcontrol at it's best

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

Hiya JT,

Thanks...I always thought I was pretty special .

Here are a few other ones that I have found that may help you out:

Watchtower; 2-15-79; pg 20 para 18:
    18 In a world where people are tossed about by confusing winds of religious doctrine, Jehovah's people need to be stable, full-grown Christians. (Eph. 4:13, 14) Their position must be steadfast, not shifting quickly because of independent thinking or emotional pressures. (Col. 1:23; 2:6, 7)

Watchtower; 1-15-83; pg 22 para 21:
    21 How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization.

Watchtower; 1-15-83; pg 27 para 19:
    19 As we study the Bible we learn that Jehovah has always guided his servants in an organized way. And just as in the first century there was only one true Christian organization, so today Jehovah is using only one organization. (Ephesians 4:4, 5; Matthew 24:45-47) Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: "This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe." This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

Watchtower; 9-15-89; pg 23 para 13:
    13 In the world, there is a tendency to reject leadership. As one lecturer said: "The rising education level has improved the talent pool such that followers have become so critical that they are almost impossible to lead." But a spirit of independent thinking does not prevail in God's organization, and we have sound reasons for confidence in the men taking the lead among us.

sadie

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

sadiejive,

Thanks for posting all those WT quotes. When they are lined up in row, the impact is overwhelming.

GDW

• Celia
    Celia

Sadie,
    it looks like you've done your homework.
    You've found quite a few of the WTSociety quotes
    about independant thinking.

• seven006
    seven006

If god wanted us to think for ourselves he would have given us a brain.

Sorry, just cracking myself up.

Dave

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LOL@Seven

Andi

• seven006
    seven006

I'm in a weird mood today Andi. I think I need to go sit in the corner for a while.

Dave

• JT
    JT

these are great

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

The more time that passes and the more revelations I see through analytical thinking and personal research.. the MADDER I get.

Show me where in the Bible it says "the faithful and discreet slave" would be named Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The JW doctine brags on and on about how every prophecy is accurate and comes to pass.. surely they couldve predicted corporate conglomerates and a money hungry organization that enforces rules with no scriptural backing.. allows children to be molested, wavers on life-or-death issues back and forth and back and forth, and claims to do it all in the name of Jehovah.

In the words of another poster on this site...

BITE ME WATCHTOWER

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit