Celebrity JWs and exJWs

by Lady Lee 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• possible-san
    possible-san

Lady Lee.
    Thank you for your reply.

My intention is not for blaming him (Yoshito Usui).
    Originally, only his wife is a JW and he was an unbeliever husband.

In my opinion, when he became a JW, his tragedy started.
    When he shows his "talent", it was contrary to the morality of JW.

I think that "the cause of his death" is in the JW's doctrine, IMO.
    Probably he did not need to die.

possible

• Caligula1
    Caligula1

Jam - Is that the Rodney King that got beat up by police about 10 years ago?

Tuesday - What type of funding is needed?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I find these celebrity-JW threads interesting, as do most of us, but still feel sad that just being touched by the Witnesses (attending a few meetings as a child for example) forever associates one with the cult.

Sends shivers up my spine.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I forgot his name ....... a famous US opera/operette singer from 40s around, recorded JW songs as well, sang duets with Ginger Rogers or the like - ah! cannot remember the name ...........

• jam
    jam

Caligula, Yes the same guy. When he was a teenager I took him fishing with other young men in the

cong.He attend the meetings but never baptize. I believe he have family members still in,in the Altadena

cong. in California.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The "Noise Next Door" an band of triplets from Portsmoth in the UK. They had a couple of minor chart hits. Mother a witness, father not. They attended meetings until they in their teens.

• littlebird
    littlebird

• Gary Gygax - Co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons.

That one really suprised me. They were playing the game in school, when my kids were little and all the witness parents in the area were in an uproar.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

"Fang" from Paul Revere and the Raiders. I went to a concert at Disney over 25 years ago and he and his band performed... I forget what they were called....

Karen Carpenter and her brother Richard studied with Jack Doherty (from the Toluca Lake cong in CA) He discovered them. He worked for Herb Alpert...

My aunt and uncle (who was in circuit and district work in the 50s and 60s knew Andy Williama...and said he was in for a while....

Coffee

• steve2
    steve2

Two more names (sorry if I missed them on the list):

Eve Arden (Hollywood actress 1940s?)

George Benson (well known jazz musician/singer who broke through into the big time in the mid to late 70s - early 80s with platinum selling albums)

• steve2
    steve2

Two more:

Prince (strange he wasn't on the list. I heard that he had been an inactive JW through most of the 80s and 90s and promised his mother on her death bed a few years ago that he would re-commit to the organization)

Huey "Piano" Smith (a seminal rock and roll figure who struggled to match the success of his two million selling hits in the late 1950s "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" and "Don't You Just Know It". The Watchtower's account states that he quit the music industry when he was at the height of his fame, but reliable music sources (e.g., the Virgin Encyclopeadia of 50s Music, 2002, page 406) state that he was unable to maintain his success and "forsook music in favor of preaching").

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit