College Quote - Help Needed

by kp138 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kp138
    kp138

Hi. I don't post on here for often, but I read posts almost daily and I love our little community of ex-JW's.

A little bit of a background I was raised in as JW but was never baptized but was a publisher and believe it wholehearedly. My father was very strict when it came to the religion and although I really quit going in my early 20s (which broke his heart) it held a power over me until I was close the to 30. At 30 I decided to enroll in Community College while working full time and got my AA last year. After a very slow process I am finally applying to the University of Washington. I now need to write a personal statement for my application and it says to talk about some personal challenges. I wanted to to provide a background in how I was raised including how college not something that JW's are supposed to do (at least in my family going to college was not even an option). I thought it might be good to provide the Watchtower quote that said that we should not go to college because the end is so soon that we would never finish before the the time of the end (I'm paraphrasing of course). I think this is the famous quote from the 60's.

My question for the community is: 1) do you think it's a good idea to provide this quote on my personal statement? 2) If so, can anybody provide the exact quote and the exact year, page etc so that I can cite it appropriately?

• Miles
    Miles

Hi Kp138,

Personally I wouldn't get that detailed and specific about a quote in the Watchtower, but you can definitely mention that you were brought up as a witness and it was not encouraged to seek higher education , but you realized that it's something very important to you.

All the best you Bud.

Miles

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** g71 6/8 p. 8 Second Thoughts About a College Education ***

So by guiding their children away from the so-called ‘higher’ education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well.

-------------------------------

*** w69 3/15 p. 171 par. 12 What Influences Decisions in Your Life? ***

12 The influence and spirit of this world is to get ahead, to make a name for oneself. Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them “brainwash” you with the Devil’s propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any “future” this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God’s Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!

--------------------------

"Therefore as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college career, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on its way towards its finish, if not actually gone." (Awake! 1969 May-22 p.15)

• Giordano
    Giordano

I agree with Miles. However here is one quote from the 1960's:

"1967 "Parents who are Jehovah's witnesses have another very sound reason for channeling their children's lives into useful trades. They know from fulfilled Bible prophecy that today's industrial society is near its end. Soon it will be given its death stroke by Almighty God himself. After that, in God's new order a reconstruction work will be done to transform this entire earth into a paradise. Trades of many types will be very useful then, as will skills in agriculture and homemaking. So by guiding their children away from the so-called 'higher' education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well." {AWAK Jun 8 1967 38}

You can poke around in the 1960's for addditional quotes here:

http://www.freeminds.org/history/part3.htm

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    I agree with Miles. Let them know you have had to break through a personal taboo imposed by your religious upbringing to apply. Back that up with your interests and enthusiasms though, they will want more.
  • done4good
    done4good

When I wrote my personal statement to go back to school for my masters, I did include some references, (no direct quotes), concerning my upbringing. Since it was honest and purely my take on the matter, I wrote the statement in about 2 hours, complete with proofreading and editing, (I needed to edit very little).

PM me if you want to see what I wrote as a guide.

d4g

• kp138
    kp138
    Thank you all for the info and feedback!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

1) do you think it's a good idea to provide this quote on my personal statement?

First of all: Good for you for pursuing an education!

That being said: No, I do not think it's a good idea to quote the WT on your personal statement.

FYI: I'm a high school teacher in the United States and have written MANY letters of recommendation for my students. Several have gotten into very prestigious universities.

Do NOT go into your JW past. Don't do it.

If you really want to tell your story, do so with out mentioning the specifics. You could say something to the affect that you were raised in a community/culture that does not value higher education; yet in spite of that ... [your details here].

2) If so, can anybody provide the exact quote and the exact year, page etc so that I can cite it appropriately?

Yes, but I won't. See above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit