Blue ray players am I being taken for an idiot?

by nugget 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

I bought a blu ray player from Sharp and was very impressed with the picture quality. However a month ago it just stopped working and when I contacted sharp they told me that I had to download new software onto the machine as movie producers had changed the copywrite and I had to update the software. He said that this is common to all Blu ray players accept the playstation and everybody has to do it. They keep telling me they have posted the software updates but nothing has arrived.

Is this true? Are all blu Ray players subject to software updates?

I know this is a religious board but I trust your judgement and don't trust Sharp at all.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is true. Most manufacturers offer these firmware updates via their website, with detailed instructions on how to perform the update.

I would recommend that folks purchase a Blu-ray player with an Ethernet port, and connect it to the Internet. This will allow for easier updating.

There are now Samsung models retailing for less than $150 that will do this. (They also stream Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.)

Edited to Add: The most recent Blu-ray disc that I purchased included a warning that my player might need to be udpated before I could view the disc.

• nugget
    nugget

Thanks for that, what a phaff. I suppose this is the price you pay for new technology.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

On the one hand, it's a major pain in the butt and almost prevents this particular technology from being a "turn-key", standalone product.

On the other hand, having a "live" device, capable of retrieving data/software/content from the Internet, provides certain advantages and unlimited possibilities.

If you really want to get mad, go read about the SEVENTEEN formats that the FCC has approved for broadcasting. Then, read about how the HDTV manufacturers are not required to produce equipment that supports all seventeen formats. (Yeah, I know it's mostly an abstract, technical detail, but WTF? Black and white to color was easy to understand. Color to 17 different digital formats -- not so much.)

• sd-7
    sd-7

Yeah--I concur with the others. You do have to update your Blu-ray player every so often. It's been awhile since I've updated mine. I've never run into a problem with it not playing the disc, though. Hmm. Then again, I'm too broke to afford Blu-ray movies now anyway, so it works out...I just watch the ones I have, or buy/rent DVDs. Sorry, rambling...

--Christopher

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yup, firmware (hardware patches) to update your Blu-ray player are required. Blu-ray movies are constantly updated with new features that have to be recognized by your player to utilize.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

nugget,

Mine had to be updated right out of the box. If it has an Ethernet port you should be able to do this with the remote control and the set up menu which should take you through the procedure. I can also play personal music selections online with Pandora and do more than that online. If you cannot get it online you should be able to upgrade through its USB port.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit