living apart from the world

by looloo 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• looloo
    looloo

"living apart from the world" is a phrase used by jws to proove that they are "different to other faiths and therefore "right" because jesus said true believers would have "no part of the world" but as a study i never thought they did "live apart from the world as they would go out for a drink, to see a show (performed by worldley people ) go on holidays , claim benefits , work with worldley people / go to school etc when you were jws did you actually feel you were no part of the world ? i think the amish and the flds really do "live apart from the world " but your average jw probably hasnt even heard of them !

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

i felt like i was not part of the world and the fact that we didn't separate ourselves like that amish (not sure who the flds are) proved that we were not a cult?! now i don't see it that way

• sspo
    sspo

I beleive the Amish use the same scripture for not using electricity or any motorized equipmnent,

so we see the stupidity of all religions in using a scripture, twisting it, interpreting it and manupulating it any way they want

to control and brainwash its members.

• looloo
    looloo

just what i thought too , and its a point ive made in a letter to my inlaws who miss their grandchild (because they banned her disfellowshipped daddy from their home )

• yknot
    yknot

"Not part of the world' ...... varies from congregation to congregation.

And I am sure many other born/raised here will echo that there are some of us who grew up UBER- seperated from the world. I know people who didn't learn their date of birth until 3rd grade!

In my congregation today I am considered a rebel since I will take my kids and others to an occassional movie.

Alcohol is strongly frowned upon due to an incident involving an Elder DUI back in the early 80s (ie those who drink are 'weak' & unfit for privilege)

Bowling is still unofficially banned due to it's alleged immoral influence (read the facility allowed inside smoking 20 years ago)

The only vacations are just full time attendance at assemblies or DC (hotel vs driving back home each day)

Public School is "tolerated" by only 3 families in my KH, the rest are private or homeschooled.

Everything is about dedicating your life to the Borg in a meek, mild and humble manner.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

"Living apart from the world (being physicaly removed from the rest of population)" and "being no part of the world (ideologically)" are two different things. JW, being a proselytizing religion, could not exist away from other people.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"living apart from the world" is a phrase used by jws to proove that they are "different

looloo... I often wondered this myself when I was young. They also use all the 'worldly' professions like doctors, dentists, optometrists, lawyers, etc. etc. I figured if they truly did 'live apart from the world' they would have built their own self-contained community where everything is done by JWs and no one else. Funny thing is, because they discourage higher education, they cannot actually do this. It was just one more piece of hypocrisy that lead me to believe it was all bupkis.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

An interesting thing about the Amish is that when a child reaches the age of 16, they're encouraged to explore the world around them. It's amazing that the Amish community not only allows this, but strongly feels that this is a vital rite of passage. The youth are told to go and experiment with anything they want to in the hopes that they get it out of their system and choose to return to the community. Imagine if this policy was among the witnesses??

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses never meant that they were to be taken out of the world. Rather, they acted differently. They bother people at 7 AM by knocking on their doors on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They do not do a lot of things that other people do--celebrating holidays or birthdays, gambling, joining the military or donating to regular charity, or getting involved with the community (except for field circus). Very often, it results in a witless that cannot handle the world at large, and will likely be trapped for life.

• tootie
    tootie

I've always always understood that it meant showing that we were no part of this world by not being "overly" involved in the "things of this world". But acknowledging that we still have to live within the world and make use of the government and authorities that have been allowed to be in their "relative positions" by God. Also, if we lived seperate in a JW community, we would not be able to "rub shoulders" with the world and "let our light shine" to be able to spread "The Truth" to others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit