The term "Organization" and its implications

by sd-7 5 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Jehovah's Witnesses commonly use the term "Jehovah's organization". Anyone who questions doctrinal points is one who "questions the organization". The term, as any informed JW would know, was born in the era of J.F. Rutherford. Its power in the time since its birth has been god-like, subduing the minds of millions and silencing those who are troubled by abuses they observe in this religion. So significant is this term to JW theology that "Organization" actually has its own topic in their book Reasoning from the Scriptures. But what is really behind this term?

As someone who works in the business sector, I have observed a very frequent use of this term, organization, in reference to the company itself or to other companies. It doesn't take a genius to know that the word "Organization" is never once mentioned in the Bible. There are certainly concepts for organized worship, but the closest term that is ever used in the Bible is "congregation" or "church", depending on which translation one uses. The warmth implied in worshippers gathered in a congregation seems greatly diminished when one uses the term "organization" instead. Why? Because "organization" is a business term, not a religious one. Why would Rutherford and his successors continue to use business language when describing the Christian congregation?

Well, consider the Jehovah's Witnesses from a business perspective. At the top, you have the 'board of directors', the Governing Body (though presumably they know little about the actual money issues of the WTS). You also have regional/country directors in the various 'branch offices'. Then you have regional managers/circuit overseers. Their job? To visit each franchise of Jehovah's Witnesses every six months, examine the financial records and the sales reports (congregation accounts and field service reports). If these are lacking, motivation for the salespeople to increase their sales will be given at company meetings. Those who fail to report their sales activity, thus failing to report for work, are disciplined or terminated as necessary. The process of terminating an employee seems to involve no more genuine emotion than at any business--maybe even less.

So, the bodies of elders serve as franchise managers, making sure the sales employees keep their numbers up and aren't known to be guilty of anything that would damage the company's brand name. They also make sure that the tax-free sales money goes to headquarters as a first priority. Headquarters also generally owns all franchise buildings until such time as the salespeople pay enough on them to claim ownership--and legal liability for headquarters, as necessary. Hence the genius of having franchises to do your work for you.

The best way to ensure continued financial support is to never reveal your financial situation to any employee--no annual report that includes anything but sales statistics and fables about miraculous sales and new salespeople being recruited for the company.

This is what an organization does. It sells a product. It recruits, hires, and fires employees. (Ah, it turns out there ARE layoffs in Jehovah's organization, despite what they say!)

The Christian congregation recruited people, but made no financial gains from doing so. There was no centralized authority resting on its laurels, reaping the benefits of an underclass. Its leaders were known for hard work and sharing generously with all. For loving guidance and reassurance, not threats and intimidation. The only requests for money were made for the sake of helping poor people in need, not for the sake of publishing more books.

As in any business, there is camraderie amongst co-workers. But you quickly find out who your true friends are when you lose your job.

Organization creates good employees, but not good Christians. Just people who think their files are in order, and that that's all that matters. Such a detached approach to sacred service certainly explains why "the organization" is what it is today.

--Christopher

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Very well stated!

Why would Rutherford and his successors continue to use business language when describing the Christian congregation?

Once I started learning the truth about that SOB, it was clear it was all about POWER and MONEY!

• Think About It
    Think About It

Excellent work! I've thought on this analogy before, but not to this extent. The literature counter is "eat in" and field service is "take out."

Think About It

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

The org. is a pyramid scheme like amway.

RosePetal

• wobble
    wobble

I always said years ago, whilst an active Dub, that the WT modelled itself on Corporate America.

I used to observe with a wry smile the wholesale adoption of new methods of selling and promoting a business that the WT ripped off from the world of commerce, but blindly I believed that as they were selling salvation, it made good sense.

Only when I was completely out did I realise that they were just a publishing corporation, with no connection to God.

Love

Wobble

• yesidid
    yesidid

No doubt Rutherford was more at home in the business world than the spiritual.

During Russell's time a congregation was called an "ecclesia", which is a Biblical word.

Rutherford changed it to "company", obviously a business word.

It is only since 1953 that groups of Witnesses were call a "congregation".

y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit