JW's and FEMA Community Emergency Response Teams?

by Bendrr 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Was talking to a current JW Elder contact a while back and he mentioned to me that "the society" was wanting local elders (and I assume ms's) to take FEMA Community Emergency Response Team training. Link to what I'm talking about: http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

We didn't talk about that subject long enough for me to get any more info and he really doesn't talk to me much now at all.

Anybody still in who can give me some more info on this?

I wasn't really suprised. "The Society" will hop into bed with anyone if it serves their ends. And really, a little training for emergencies is great for everybody.

It made me laugh, and I didn't tell him this, but my unit trains CERT's in land navigation and search and rescue. Just last weekend we worked with a local CERT on urban search and rescue. Effin' civilians! They didn't do *too* bad, but they weren't exactly impressive either. They weren't prepared at all.

It's going to be really funny if this turns out to be true because I'm going to laugh my ass off when my unit gets a bunch of JW Elders for training!

• asilentone
  • asilentone
    asilentone

how much do the training cost?

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It must be free or JW's wouldn't do it

LD

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

The online courses are free. And about as boring as reading an Awake magazine. The online courses give basic information but like reading an Awake, no one is going to come away from the online courses with enough of a working knowledge of the subject nor the skills to apply to a real life situation.

Boots on the ground training is also free or low cost depending on the source. I see this running into snags when the JW's (provided what I heard is true) have to treat everyone equally instead of prioritizing JW's first.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

There are other benefits to being a Emergency response group

(this information is a about 5 years old so could be out of data potentially and is also based on uk practice)

If you are an emergency response or relief centre, your location is provided with power on a higher grid level. ie you won't be cut off first.

secondly you will be provided with some level 4 gsm access allowing your gold leader + silver leaders to communicate. Ie when everyone elses phone has shut down or the network is shut down for emergency repsose only, the system will let you make calls

however the view of the emergency response groups is that you take ANYONE in the community!

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Hey Bendrr you were a "stupid civilian" until what a whole year ago?!? Don't get cocky kid.

That said the thought of a bunch of raw recruit JW's elders or otherwise does present a very funny mental picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit