Deleted Elders?

by Farkel 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

I knew about elders being "deleted" and have commented what a strange and pejorative term that is, but it wasn't until "WTWizard" and "designs" commented on another thread about it that it actually hit home for me.

One cannot step down as an elder with any dignity! Elder's can't quit, with the word "quit" being as in "he quit his job." Elder's can't resign as in "he resigned as Chairman of the Board for XYZ Corp."

Brother Elder who had served in that position for say, 30+ years is now old and feeble and doesn't have the strength to carry on the demands as an elder. He's 85 years old, so he asks to step down. The next meeting an announcement is read:

"Brother Elder has been deleted as an elder. Now turn your songbooks to page..."

In another case, Brother ElderAHole was convicted of child abuse, armed robbery, attempted murder, embezzlement, and carjacking." A JC is scheduled to deal with those crimes, but in the meantime at the next meeting an announcement is read:

"Brother ElderAHole has been deleted as an elder. Now turn your songbooks to page..."

Is that the way it happens? Are those WTS bastards THAT cold blooded? Are they the only living people who are heart donors? Do they treat both those Brothers the same in their "deletion" announcements despite the incredible differences in reasons for their wanting to no longer be elders?

Geezus! A doubting dub never could leave the religion with any dignity and keep his reputation intact, and now elders who just can't perform the long hours and endless duties of a non-paying, not-grateful job cannot step down and keep their dignity too?

Is this really the case? Is this procedure stated in any publications available to R&F dubs, or is it just contained in secret BOE letters?

Can anyone confirm or clarify this for me?

Farkel

• zarco
    zarco

Farkel - that is really the case. The notification of deletions from the WTS for Elders, MS and Pioneers are all worded the same. The instructions are to read the announcement from the WTS to the congregation. It is rare but at times the brother announcing the "deletion" will say a few kinds words... Things may have changed in the last year, but that was the practice not long ago.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yeah pretty lame indeed. Even if you step down for whatever reason, they cannot say 'so and so has stepped down' I dont know if they still say "deleted" I thought it had just changed to generic "so and so is no longer an elder/MS" Maybe someone else can confirm.

The only two real options are to move halls, which depending on where you live might mean actually moving your residence, or get out in front of it by dropping it the ear of the biggest gossip in the hall that your are "stepping down for family reasons" Then maybe you get to keep 10% of your dignity.

• sherah
    sherah
    I thought it had just changed to generic "so and so is no longer an elder/MS"
    This is the way it's announced at my KH.
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Yes Farkel, you've pretty well nailed this procedure.

Just a couple minor clarifications. In reality, they would prefer that the 85 year old faithful elder keep his title until he dies. As long as it's just health problems and not attitude problems, they'll let him keep the title and just turn in 15 minutes of FS a month, never give a talk, rarely attend elder's meetings, etc. Elders who want to quit have to REALLY put their foot down to get out of the club.

But, if the elder is determined to not be one anymore, the announcement is the same for him as it is for the "repentant" elder child molester who just got privately reproved.

Brother Old Faithful has been deleted as an elder.

Brother Perma Perv has been deleted as an elder.

The exact wording is in a letter to BOEs.

I've heard from various elders, (so it must be true ) that by announcing it in this uniform, clinical manner, it keeps Brother Perma Perv from taking any sort of legal action saying that his reputation has been tarnished. A few years ago, we had an Old Faithful elder "deleted" and the brother making the announcement kindly threw in a statement thanking him for his many years of faithful service. The announcing brother was given a stern warning later by the PO not to do that again. The directions from The Branch are very clear. Follow them.

Just warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it?

om

• Farkel
    Farkel

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

This stuns the hell out of me and I'm fearless!

Farkel

• donny
    donny

I hated that term too. I had to step down from being an MS due to having to take care of an extended family member, and I was there when they announced "Brother Donny has been deleted as a Ministerial Servant." I remember how chapped I was because it was the same language used a few months earlier when another MS was removed due to being to fresh with some of the sisters. I knew that many in the audience were wondering "What sin did he do to get deleted." It's just one of many examples of the organizations cold, unfeeling attitude.

Donny

• cantleave
    cantleave

They didn't follow that wording with me, I was announced as stepping down (November 2009).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When Elders are Deleted..

They use a huge Pink Pearl Eraser..

The WBT$ just Rubs them Out..

Theres nothing left but a Bit of Blood..

And..

Bits of Wrinkled soft Rubber..

................................ ...OUTLAW

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think that is actually the case most of the time.

However, when my dad 'stepped aside' around 1980, when the PO read the announcement from the platform, he added that the BOE accepted Brother H****'s request and was not the wish of the BOE that he do so.

Funny though. My dad was upset because the BOE had not said this to him directly. They did not counter his request with the exception of that brief statement.

Odd little group it is.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit