JWs vs. Christ's Witnesses?

by metaspy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• metaspy
    metaspy

I was talking to my dad today, and he asked when the JWs changed their name. I replied "in 1933 or 34, Cedar Point - they became the Jehovah's witnesses" He said "No, when did they change to Christ's Witnesses?" I had no reply.

Apparently, he had a JW come to his door (from a car group of 5 doing the neighborhood). My dad told them "I see you are JWs, I am not interested." The lady replied "We are Christ's Witnesses" Which confused my dad because she had a Watchtower in her book bag.

I wasn't there, so I can't verify if they were JWs or if it was some new religion calling themselves Christ's witnesses. It would seem odd that they would mimic the door-to-door of JWs and the name.

Any one heard of Christ's witnesses? or was the JW just pulling BS out of her sleeve?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

probably a JW a little more free spirited than most. If your Dad would have fell for that, I gurantee you it would have been on a Service Meeting part somewhere down the line.

• metaspy
    metaspy

It didn't really come across to me as a line to continue the conversation, as the convo was over. It seemed like a correction that he had the wrong religion. But I have never heard of Christs witnesses

• blondie
    blondie

Googling comes up with a couple of places called "christ's witnesses" but I don't think it is really some group. I can't identify the owner or operator of the ones I found.

For awhile the WTS called themselves "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses" in the pubs from 1960 to 1979 but not officially. It was then abruptly dropped. There was a statement in the following KM telling congregations not to identify the KH as KH of JCW.

*** km 4/79 p. 4 Announcements ***Is it appropriate to have a Kingdom Hall sign saying: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses"? So there will be uniformity, the Society encourages all to make their signs read: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses." (See October 1978 OurKingdomService, page 3, paragraph 5.)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/78640/1/Jehovahs-Christian-Witnesses

• metaspy
    metaspy

Thanks Blondie!

It would be funny if it was a break off group. Perhaps she had watchtowers to show how wrong it was.

• teel
    teel

It might have been a JW trying out her power of deception. I remember advice that only say that we are JWs if asked directly, otherwise just say "we're just here to bring you God's message" or something like that. Saying that she's "Christ's Witness" is just a step further in deception. I noticed in your quote she didn't deny she's a JW.

It would be funny if it was a break off group.

In my experience break off groups are even worse, they take the worst part of the JWism with them, and leave exactly the good parts behind. There are a couple of groups goups here in Eastern Europe, and they're even more wacko than the average JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit